Border Crossing & Flying

• October 11, 2010 1:55 AM BST
    This should perhaps be posted in the USA forum but thought others might have some info on this.

just curious if anyone has any experience or has heard of infor for crossing into USA and also flying domestic within the USA. I never have issues returning to Canada but have not tried the other way. Would make it so much easier travelling.

thank you
    Brenda
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 2:22 AM BST
    From the sounds of it your ID is still in male mode. It has been a couple years since I flew with all male ID although I was traveling as Marsha. I did not have the least bit of problem when I passed through security. I just smiled and said that would be me. When I flew back to Las Vegas September last year, I had had my legal name changed to Marsha, so my ID matched my presentation other than the "M" under sex. I was called ma'am every step of the way. I never gave it a second thought walking through security or using restrooms. In two months I will be making my first international flight to Thailand with my female US passport. To say the least, I am excited. When I return after surgery one of the first things I intend to do is get a new drivers license with "F".

Now if you are wearing a wig or heavy makeup that makes you look like a different person than your ID, there potentially could be problems, or more likely minor delays. But I doubt you would have any major problems if your ID is in order.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • October 11, 2010 2:26 AM BST
    Well it is the require picture ID that I fear will be the issue...........I do not yet have any legal Canadian photo ID as Brenda yet but have heard rumours of others who have travelled enfemme.........
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 3:20 AM BST
    Don't stress out Brenda, you likely would be fine. The requirement is that you possess proper ID, In your case a Canadian passport would be required unless you have U.S. Documents like a work permit. Nothing says you need to look like the picture, but they need to be able to verify you are that person. I use to carry what we call in the states a "carry letter" that my therapist put together stating I was transsexual and my appearance may not match my documentation. I never had to show it to anyone and don't know of anyone else who ever showed it, but it was there if need be. Relax, you will be fine.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 308 posts
    October 20, 2010 6:45 AM BST
    Brenda,
    I have traveled to Windsor and back to the US several times without any problem. I always use the tunnel. I do not think there would be any problem unless things went to a heightened alert.
    Tammy
    • 2573 posts
    October 11, 2010 2:10 AM BST
    Just flew Los Angeles to Seattle this week. Was not en femme but my checked luggage was :-)

Only problems I had was my required, approved, picture ID was expired. I pointed out that I was not expired and was the same person I was before my birthday. My carry-on was checked but it seemed to be my weird collection of metallic items inside. Insulin syringes, coins, foil-wrapped chocolate bars, etc. They checked it twice; I was quite amused but 4 hrs ahead of schedule for my plane and already checked in with a boarding pass. I assumed they checked my checked luggage, as they always seem to. I have learned to not keep important items in the external compartments of baggage as they can be somewhat lax in making sure they zip completely...one hopes they perform this task better in the bathroom. Oh, I showed them my zip-lock baggie of catnip BEFORE they found it and asked, lol.

I check the TSA website before I fly to be aware of current requirements. I carry personal meds in my carry-on bag. (My favorite is CARRY ON NURSE).

http://www.tsa.gov/