Out By Accident

• 51 posts
    October 11, 2010 4:54 PM BST
    Today my councellor was back and I had my first chance in almost four weeks to get properley dressed and venture out, Monday is my Me day, often don't feel up to much after a heavy councelling session. Anyhow, I drove home, the wind blowing through my wig from the open window music playing on the iPod (Vulcan Freedom Fighters, I think) and when I got home there was no where to park, vans and visitors all over the place and my neighbour was working on the rendering at the front of his house. I was stumped, there was no way I could get from the car to the house without him seeing me, I wasn't sure if I was ready for this but I had to get in and change ( I had to take my mum into town) so I had to bite the bullet and get out of the car.

Stuart looked down from his perch on the porch and said. ' Hello, you've got long hair,' a pause and then ' and big tits' we then talked for a while about the state of the rendering on his house and other building problems we have encountered in our work before he finally said. ' So why are you wearing that then?' there was no malice or threat, just a straight forward question, so I told him I'm a Transvestite, he looked puzzled, a cross dresser, still a bit puzzled, a man who likes to wear women's clothing, he sussed it then and he listened while I told him a bit about my history, and he said he'd never seen me like that before and I said that was because I was usually quite secretive about it, but Monday's are my day and usually there's no-one around.

We spoke again later when I was back in male mode and there seems to be no change in our relationship.

I suppose I've been have hoping to bump into somebody at some point but Stuart was not someone I had down as being so wonderfully accepting of me.

Thanks Stuart

Tara
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 10:16 PM BST
    Hugs Tara, I can personally relate to that experience other than God only knows how, nobody seemed to notice.......or never mentioned it. It really sounds like you handled the situation great. Honesty is a great way to stop the wrong message from getting out. That has to be a tremendous burden off of your shoulders.
    Lots of hugs,
    Marsha
  • October 12, 2010 12:20 AM BST
    I'm glad that everything went well. The only time anyone has seen me dressed a a woman outside of my very small circle (Who have seen almost every time they have come over) was about four different halloweens. Three when I was growing up, my sister thought it was funny and still doesn't know the truth, and once about two years ago fo a company party. None of my coworkers realize that I wa seious and want me to do it again this year (not sure if I will or not). Anyways they convinced me to go out with them all to a bar and I went but I was very nervous, what made it a little easier is that I was supportng a mustache at the time and my wife forbid me to shave it so people thought it was jst a joke. As nervous as I felt I can only imagine how it must have felt for you. I think you handled it the best way yo possible could I just wish I had the courage to take that chance. Maybe when I get a therapist they can help me with that.

Megan Layne
    ~The only things that we have that are worth anything are love and time.
    • 51 posts
    October 12, 2010 8:57 AM BST
    I often think that most of the issues about coming out are in my own head 'how will people react?' ' will they still talk to me?' 'will they be really anti and get a bit gory?' but it seems that most people I've encountered whilst dressed have been really fine with it, but I still won't be going down the shops today lol.

Back in the early eighties I used to help run a heavy rock 'disco' at a local rock night and we had a fancy dress do one evening so I said I'd go in 'drag', well sometimes you have to take any chance that comes along. The, very mixed, gang that I was hanging with at the thought this was great and started getting me ready at about 11am for a 7pm start. I got to walk around town with the lads, went for lunch, shopping, a whole day of being en mode, and noone seemed to twig or if they did never said anything. It was bumping into Grandad as he set off for work while walking down to the pub that freaked me a bit, he looked quite shocked, but I just told him I was going to a party and he was kind of ok. After my chat with mum the other week in turned he had told everybody that he had seen me dressed as a girl, but again no-one had ever said anything, I guess the 'going to a party' line works quite well. It was a beautiful day for me though, I don't think my make up has every looked so good.

Tara
    • 110 posts
    October 11, 2010 7:19 PM BST
    Hi Tara.I do like a happy ending. So glad it worked out ok for ya. Take care. Love lillth
    • 51 posts
    January 4, 2011 2:01 PM GMT
    Hi Janis

There seems be a lot more to that story than you letting on. lol

Hugs

Tara
  • December 17, 2010 5:48 PM GMT
    Not really being caught as such but asking a neighbour who'd never seen me dressed if I could climb over from her veranda to mine when I'd locked myself out.
  • December 17, 2010 4:07 AM GMT
    About a year ago, i had the house to myself during the day and got dressed around 7am. Normally i have only ever been out very early for a quick stroll on a dark morning & once at night. On this occasion without really thinking and having got dressed up, i decided to go out when it was light about 930am. I tried to dress to blend, dark clothes, black coat, "sensible shoes" long skirt etc. Had to go down a gully at the back of the house about 100 metres, unlock the gate, and straight onto shopping area and main road.
    It was very nerve wracking (check the wig, foundation, walk slowly, not like a Gorilla.. etc) but once i got past the gate i managed to get some confidence, and the shops are not too busy which helped.

I went to a couple of nearby shopping areas for a couple of hours on the bus (inserted my 'other' photo on the bus pass and crossed my fingers), exhilarating but nervy, think i did ok, no one said anything anyway, and i kept checking and using my powder, had a look around M&S and BHS and bought some Tights. The counter staff have clocked me but were very nice.

Having a Great time, but a slight problem on way back, i unlock the gates, walk up the gully, and meet a neighbour coming in the other direction down the hill who i cant avoid. She says "oh i thought it was you - hello" , or something similiar as we pass. Which really worried me at the time.

Fortunately i dont really know her to speak to, and since then she has just said hi when i have bumped into her in the street - not often. I'm still not sure if she thought i was somebody else, i certainly didnt look like i usually do. I've just got to pluck up the courage to go out again now.