Making Connections

• 114 posts
    October 17, 2010 4:25 AM BST
    So, I went to a mushroom festival today, and I took a class in identification and collection. One of my classmates, there with a young woman (both early 20s) was a young transgendered woman. Although retaining a male voice and with sharp facial features, there was absolutely no facial hair, breasts (b-cup?), feminine nails, and a woman's ring on her ring finger.

Later, the young woman indicated they were on their honeymoon during a conversation regarding their dog.

A few things entered mind: 1) I desperately wanted to talk to her about her gender journey; but, I didn't want to invade her privacy; 2) How brave she was; 3) How loving and accepting the young woman with her was.

Seriously, I so wish I knew what I know now when I was her age. Life would have been very different. Although, I love my wife and family; so, it is hard to regret anything.

Please excuse my rambling. :-)
    • 1912 posts
    October 17, 2010 1:37 PM BST
    Hi Jesse, it looks like you are very much like myself, age wise, married, and looking back wondering but without regrets. We were born in a different era where the freedoms these kids today enjoy, we could not. I'm sure we all think about what it could have been for us and some get trapped into dwelling on the past rather than making the best of now. I believe in staying positive and looking forward.

This gal you crossed paths with obviously has the confidence to be herself. I believe many of the younger kids today are fearless and that is scary to us, but something they seem up to the challenge for. I see that as good for all of us. Society needs to see the real people that make up the TG community rather than only know the baseless perverted stereotyping which has plagued our generation for years. I expect by the time these kids are our age they will enjoy the same rights as the rest of society and will probably look back at what we went through and wonder what was that all about. I don't believe laws or TV shows will accomplish much in helping TGs enjoy the full rights society enjoys, instead it will be these kids that pave the way.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • October 17, 2010 6:03 PM BST
    Hi Jesse,

I also look back and think on how different my life would have been.
    I really love my wife and kids, but a part of me really wanted to
    grow up as Michelle. But that was in a time where attitudes were still
    very hard.

The woman you met is blessed with both growing up in a more enlightened time and
    having the confidence to live "her life" with an understanding soulmate.
    My dream is that someday, transgendered men and women will enjoy the freedom to
    simply live as their trueselves without worry or discrimination along with their soulmates.

Hugz,
    Michelle
    • 20 posts
    October 17, 2010 6:29 PM BST
    I always wonder what sort of woman I would be if I felt "then" like I feel "now". My life would have taken a radically different path starting in the 60's. I lived close to San Francisco and often fantasized about moving there and becoming a woman. I didn't have the feminine aura about me then as I did now, nor the certainty of what truly made me happy. In addition the times were not so friendly to such a change. I seem to be quite happy now. I'm busting with joy for that young man, the woman he is becoming, and the life they are about to lead.