Oct. 2010 NTDS report on TG health

• 1912 posts
    October 22, 2010 7:43 PM BST
    This is a very eye opening report on the health and health care of transgender in the U.S. Here is a list of the key survey statistics which should cause everyone to pause and think about their future.

KEY HEALTH CARE FINDINGS
    ▪▪Survey participants reported very high levels of postponing medical care when sick or injured due to discrimination (28%) or inability to afford it (48%);
    ▪▪Respondents faced significant hurdles to accessing health care, including:
    • Refusal of care: 19% of our sample reported being refused care due to their transgender or gender non-conforming status, with even higher numbers among people of color in the survey;
    • Harassment and violence in medical settings: 28% of respondents were subjected to harassment in medical settings and 2% were victims of violence in doctor’s offices;
    • Lack of provider knowledge: 50% of the sample reported having to teach their medical providers about transgender care;
    ▪▪Despite the barriers, the majority of survey participants have accessed some form of transition-related medical care; the majority reported wanting to have surgery but have not had any surgeries yet;
    ▪▪If medical providers were aware of the patient’s transgender status, the likelihood of that person experiencing discrimination increased;
    ▪▪Respondents reported over four times the national average of HIV infection, 2.64% in our sample compared to .6% in the general population, with rates for transgender women at 3.76%, and with those who are unemployed (4.67%) or who have engaged in sex work (15.32%) even higher;
    ▪▪ver a quarter of the respondents misused drugs or alcohol specifically to cope with the discrimination they faced due to their gender identity or expression;
    ▪▪A staggering 41% of respondents reported attempting suicide compared to 1.6% of the general population, with unemployment, low income, and sexual and physical assault raising the risk factors significantly.

Click the attached link to view the full report.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 308 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:26 PM BST
    Very good article Marsha,
    I do not mean to hijack this post into a suicide post, but to allude to your facts of the medical community and treatment of TS's
    These stats are an indication, and ot at least part of the reason, I feel for the higher than average suicide rates, .With the lack and or resistance of the medical community to address the needs, of the TG' Their maybe a more up to date link for this info.

Quote.."The number of deaths in male-to-female transsexuals was five times the number expected, due to increased numbers of suicide and death of unknown cause." - "Mortality and Morbidity in Transsexual Patients with Cross-Gender Hormone Treatment" -H. Asscheman, L.J.G. Gooren, and P.L.E. Eklund

http://www.hemingways.org[...]bid.htm

Another useful link that I ran across

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jon-lapook/a-pro-bono-transgender-pr_b_217575.html

Another link that I like to use as a reminder of our history...remember

http://www.rememberingour[...]re.html

• 1912 posts
    October 23, 2010 7:48 PM BST
    A more up to date link? These are not my facts, they are from the National Center on Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. By Jaime M. Grant, Ph.D., Lisa A. Mottet, J.D., and Justin Tanis, D.Min. With Jody L. Herman, Ph.D., Jack Harrison, and Mara Keisling.

This report came out this month, October 2010.

I like Hemingway info, but the latest date in your link is 1999. And the dates in the report for the "Mortality and Morbidity in Transsexual Patients with Cross-Gender Hormone Treatment" -H. Asscheman, L.J.G. Gooren, and P.L.E. Eklund which you cite were in the 1980's. 20-30 year old outdated info.

However you interpret the statistics, they are pretty sad. Now for me, I have sought treatment in numerous facilities from clinics to hospitals here in Savannah, GA, the buckle of the Bible Belt, and I have not once had a problem getting medical treatment.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 308 posts
    October 24, 2010 5:56 AM BST
    I'm sorry Marsha,
    I meant a more up to date link for the information I posted. Sometimes I have a bad way of stating things that can cause confusion.
    Huggs...Tammy