A Plea for Calm, or Take Action?

• 1912 posts
    October 25, 2010 1:20 PM BST
    Charlene Sims' article "A Plea for Calm, or Take Action?" in the latest GS Tribune pretty much said a whole lot of nothing. Now don't start screaming at me, I mean that in a supportive way. Like Charlene asked, what can we do to stop violence against TGs and prevent suicides among our youth? I don't think anyone has the single answer and like Charlene I am only able to offer a whole lot of nothing.

I am not sure the TG and LGBT communities can do anything about it other than make sure stories of suicide and violence against our youth are not buried in the media, but instead, brought to the front page so society can see what they are doing. It is human nature to come up with excuses to allow bad behavior to continue. The "I don't want to get involved syndrome." I believe there is a breaking point where people eventually say "I can't let that go on any longer." So as I see it, society has to solve this problem, not the TG or LGBT communities.

I hope this is not viewed as throwing our youth to the wolves. I don't want anything of the sort. We need to be visible in all forms, from an internet presence to local community support groups. And as part of society, we need to voice our outrage against this type of behavior. Being closeted doesn't have to mean you can not share your opinions that violent behavior against our youth must stop.

Hugs,
    Marsha