NHS changes affecting your rights!

• 871 posts
    October 25, 2010 4:51 PM BST
    Hiya,
    I met up with my therapist the other day. She informed me that the PCTs are being dissolved and that all funding is going to be handled by, and originate from, GPs. She said that our local gender clinic, running since the 70s, is likely to close down. She asked me how I found the service at CX. I said that I saw Penny Lenihan and that I was overall quite satisfied with the service. My therapist also informed me that under the proposed changes and restructuring of the NHS that they are planning to require all patients who are undergoing treatment for gender issues to have regular psychiatric assessments. She also added that this might go against my human rights as I have already been assess twice before starting treatment and that it is questionable why I should undergo further scrutiny. My response to that is, if we, as a peer group, are to receive regular psychiatric assessments then every other patient of the NHS should also receive the same psychiatric assessments or the NHS would be in danger of committing discrimination.

The above action if enforced would imply that our mental health is at question and that we were somehow mentally ill. I would believe that this course of action would add to our mental health difficulties. I have always maintained and always will that any mental health issues that I may or may not have would not have been caused by transgenderism but by external influences because of being transgendered.

It seems the NHS, from what has been explained to me, is taking a big step back, and I am a little worried.

Has anyone else heard the same? heard different? or have I got it totally misunderstood?

It would be really nice to hear from anyone with any news.
    Love
    Penny
    x
    • 871 posts
    October 27, 2010 4:42 PM BST
    Thats what I find confusing Lucy. I go to CX every 6 months for a medication review and see how I am coping anyway. The impression I got was that they were going to conduct a more intensive examination on mental health? HA HA!!! good luck!

• 871 posts
    November 1, 2010 5:08 PM GMT
    One thing I forgot to mention. It was explained to me that the NHS has a charter to offer patients the choice of where their procedures are undertaken. For example, if one was to have a hip replacement they would be given a choice of 3 hospitals to choose from. The patient can weigh up the defference between experience, results and waiting times. I understand that this is to meet the basic human rights charter. It was also suggested to me that if transgendered individuals are not afforded the same liberties then it is likely that the European Human Rights Commission will be lobbied to intervene.
    • 2358 posts
    October 25, 2010 9:43 PM BST
    Ongoing psychiatric evaluation, first I have heard about it, is that up to SRS. or for ever lol, what are they going to do 2 years after SRS if you don\t come up to scratch, lop your boobs off and say go to go and grow some balls? They can't meet commitments now, just going for an initial refferal, from what I hear takes forever. Basically its the GP makes the initial refferal anyway, if they do away with Gender Clinics I can see the delays being even longer, as all the shrinks will be going into private practice.

Technically once you have been diagnosed with GID and one has accepted that diagnosis, then you no longer suffer from GID. I'll let you know how the research results turn out, the DNA link to GID., Perhaps that will eventually make the shrinks and their final verdict obsolete?

http://www.groundreport.c[...]2872185
    • 1652 posts
    October 25, 2010 11:32 PM BST
    ”NHS… are planning to require all patients who are undergoing treatment for gender issues to have regular psychiatric assessments.”

I was of the understanding that this is generally how things have been done at CX since its conception. During RLE they ask to see you regularly. They have a quick chat, few questions, make their assessment, see you again in 6 months bye-bye. Once you’ve completed RLE and had SRS and got any necessary documentation from them, you’re no longer being treated for gender issues, and they won’t need to see you, ever again.
    It’s a lovely feeling!
    xx
  • October 28, 2010 10:36 AM BST
    I've had to endure 34 psychiatric assessments due to chief shrink at leeds gender clinic writing me off as mentally unstbale just because I argued with him.
    My lawyers are using this as Human Rights, NHS Consitution and Goods and Services issues as basically no-one else has to have these psychiatric exams to get attention to their medical problems. Especially so for those of us who have had our GRCs and Nirth Certs for a long time.
  • November 4, 2010 11:26 AM GMT
    My case is being considered by the ECHR but they can take a few years to report as they are swamped with HR cases from the former soviet union countries.

We also have a United Nations right that we can quote to get surgery and related therapies. have a read of

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/cescr.htm