Election Day in Iowa

• 252 posts
    November 2, 2010 1:15 PM GMT
    Today is election day. For us in Iowa, it has special significance. Iowa has the most important LGBT vote in this election. We are voting to retain three of our state Supreme Court Justices. These Justices voted 7-0 to allow gays to marrry a year-and-a-half ago. Now, retaining those Justices is supposed to be a purely prefunctory procedure (alliteration not intended) but the anti-gay crowdd are a bunch of little babies and they are fighting to make sure they can take away our civil rights. It's difficult to change the state Constitution, but this is the first step. If they replace two or three of these judges, it will create a substantial crack in Iowa's gay marriage law. They still would need a 2/3 majority of the Iowa house to pass it, but this is scary. Please, if you have a spare minute today, send good vibes to people in Iowa. We need it.

Zoey
    • 252 posts
    November 3, 2010 1:32 PM GMT
    A very mixed day in Iowa. The three judges were all turned out, but the measure to call for a Constitutional Convention to change the Constitution and allow the GOP to make marriage "between one man and one woman" was soundly defeated. So gay marriage in Iowa will continue to live...for another six years at least. Hopefully that will give me time to a.) Lose enough weight to get an amazing dress b.) Find someone to marry and c.) twist the collective arms of my homo/transbigoted former church and have my wedding there...even though I'm mostly a secular humanist now.

The senate and house races were very divided with the GOP not really picking up as many gains as they thought.

Iowa, a tiny bit of sanity smack dab in the middle of the Midwestern bible belt. One further note, Iowa is #1 in the nation in literacy. See...the smarter you get, the more you are tolerant of others. Isn't that funny how that works?

Z

BTW- In my a,b,c list you will note that I listed "find an amazing dress" as "a". Proving what I'm really interested in...
    • 181 posts
    November 14, 2010 5:19 PM GMT
    Would somebody please educate the Westborugh Babtist Church then in Kansas ?????????????? ellen
    • 252 posts
    November 16, 2010 2:17 AM GMT
    Agreed.
    • 2573 posts
    November 15, 2010 6:10 PM GMT
    Zoe,
    Education does not make you smarter...it does make you less ignorant, however, which is the key to tolerance.