High heel sizes

• November 26, 2010 5:59 PM GMT
    I'm happy to say, that being new to wearing high heels, I was in them the other night for over 6 hours and my feet didn't kill me. At the end of the night, I was dying to pull them off my slightly aching feet. I recently tried on another pair of identical heels, and they were about 1/4" shorter in length and fit too tightly. I probably would have needed about a size 10M in those heels. This would explain why I'm a men's 9 and my platform peep toe pumps are also a 9M. I remeasured my heels and they are 4 1/2" I believe. I almost fell down a steep set of stairs the other night, due to being new to heels and forgetting to walk differently, but I'm OK.
  • November 26, 2010 10:41 PM GMT
    Amanda,
    If you place your feet diagonally (in the same direction!) as you descend the stairs you should avoid any mishaps.
    Falling off a pair of heels. landing on your butt with your skirts up in the air is very unladylike as well as being very sore.
    I speak from some experience!
    • 1912 posts
    November 27, 2010 1:00 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda, I don't know if the stairs you had an issue with were carpeted or not but carpeted stairs can really be deadly with heels even when you are being cautious. Add slippery to vertical and they are even more dangerous.

I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed or given it any thought, but it seems to me when you see people on an escalator, the men often continue walking as the stairway moves along, while women tend to stand in place. I think men have a tendency to get from point A to point B as quickly as they can, and the same applies when traveling stairs. So first off, take your time. Next is don't move your rear foot until you absolutely know your front foot is secure. That may sound obvious, but I think we tend to get in motion and assume our leading foot is planted properly. When wearing heels, at least early on, you need to be thinking about each step. Janis' suggestion of stepping diagonally on each stair is how I handle stairs.

Travel safely,
    Marsha
    • 1017 posts
    November 26, 2010 6:06 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda,

Gotta watch those stairs when wearing heels. Been there, done that, ouch!

If a shoe almost fits, there are "shoe stretchers" available that will re-form the shoe to deal with bunions, corns, toes and can be a lifesaver then your shoe is so very close to fitting comfortably.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 2573 posts
    November 27, 2010 9:53 AM GMT
    One of our girls once fell down the stairs at an opera while wearing heels. She ended up in the ER/A&E en femme. Get lots of practice in before venturing out.