Earings

• December 2, 2010 3:09 PM GMT
    I'm looking to purchase my first pair of earings, but could use help in deciding which kinds look best on me. Any any accesory suggestions are welcome. I think maybe a pair of hoop earings would look nice. My ears are not pierced, nor do I want them to be. Therefore, the earings would need to be clip-on.
  • December 2, 2010 10:40 PM GMT
    I've had my ears pierced for a long time now. I've only got three pairs of what could be described as "expensive" earrings but they were all presents and have sentimental value far outweighing anything monetary, especially the set of gold and ruby ones I got as birthday present from my late Mum, I don't know what I'd do if I lost those.
    As for clip ons, I usually just buy "cheap and cheerful" from local market stalls or sometimes craft fairs.
  • December 3, 2010 2:07 AM GMT
    Hi Amanda
    I just purchased 4 pairs of clip on hoops, they are really nice, quality appears good and they stay put no issues. I bought on ebay from this seller from hong kong, " kwokk123" two pair of earrings and total shipping $6.00 total CDN !!!! arrived in prretty little box in about a week !!!!!! I have ordered twice and very pleased both times and very neat how the clip works..... I have wore two pairs now out for over 6 hours each time with no issues what so ever and for the money i will continue to buy from them...
    go toe bay and search the name or contact me and i can paste the earrings i bought...
    hope this helps , and no customs issues at all

Hugs Brenda
    • 2358 posts
    December 2, 2010 3:28 PM GMT
    Hoops not a good idea if you don't have your ears pierced, there are some around,, fairly limited. tho.

http://www.emitations.com[...]ea.html

http://www.emitations.com[...]duWugkg

I went for years with glue on navel jewelery, until finally plucking up the courage to have my belly button pierced.

My Navel base was like Hamburg docks lol, always full of discharged seamen
    • 2127 posts
    December 2, 2010 3:32 PM GMT
    I might have the very thing for you if you don't mind waiting a month or so...

Watch this space!

Hugs, Katie x
    • 1017 posts
    December 2, 2010 5:13 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda,

Here's a website I've been buying clip-on earrings from for years.

Don't know if they still sell them, but I bought medium size hoops in both silvertone and goldtone from them. They weren't actually a clip-on, but rather a spring loaded piston inside the hoop that holds them to the ear. They stay on very well and unless you lift up your earlobe, they appear to be pierced. I like them and wear them more than any other earrings in my collection.

http://www.cliptomania.com/

Best,
    Melody
  • December 26, 2010 5:19 AM GMT
    MIght be hard to find but leave it to our fearless leader to come up with something to help you out I wish you the best of luck
    • 2573 posts
    December 24, 2010 4:24 AM GMT
    I think ...nay, hope....Joni meant earCuffs.

I was going to mention that I bought fittings at a crafts store that would let me convert earrings to clip ons with a small amount of work, however, Joni seems to have found a more convenient pathway for you. The problem with commercial clip ons is the small range of choices and they tend to be cheaper designs, probably because it is so easy to lose one. I even have plastic backings to double lock my pierced earrings in place. Just need a pair of diamond studs to go with the Armani.

My best male friend took two years to notice my pierced ears and nobody else has ever mentioned them to me. I have even worn gemmed earrings without a comment being passed to me. Perhaps they think I have gone Pirate or Biker. I have some very small metal ball studs that are very low key as well. After your piercings heal you can easily go without earrings in during work hours. Sometimes I have mine out for weeks at a time.
    • 1980 posts
    December 22, 2010 12:51 PM GMT
    Hi Michelle-

Check out these guys...http://www.twenga.com/dir[...]-053644.

Oh, and I meant Merry Christmas to you and yours to Amanda. And to Briana, too, of course as well as everyone else on TGS. I am such a ditz sometimes.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 181 posts
    December 22, 2010 1:27 PM GMT
    Amanda, around here , ( Richmond Virginia ) , I have seen the best selection at K-mart stores . Then too, if you are of a creative nature , you can go to a Michiaels art supply store and go back into the jewelery making sections . Here with a lot of imagination , and lille in the way of funds , you can buy the "Ear- Clips " along with wire , beads , and of course cute jewels! The ear clips come in both Silver and Gold . You will also see necklass clasps , to do coordinating necklaces too. Hon, I generally make my own stuff, I like it when women ask where I'm buying my bling ! ellen
    • 1980 posts
    December 21, 2010 8:48 PM GMT
    Hi Amanda-

I think all the other girls have given you good advice about where to find nice clip-ons. Also you might check this out http://www.bing.com/shopp[...]M=HURE they allow you to convert pierced earrings to clip-on and may give you more choices.

If you don't mind, and I'm certainly not taking exception to your decision not to pierce your ears, but why don't you want to do that? I realize there are all sorts of reasons, from hassles in the work environment to a spouse's disapproval to simple personal preference. But in this day and age lots of men, who may or may not be closeted tgirls, who's to say, have pierced ears, from lawyers to bikers. If I may share a personal experience, I worked in a very conservative, ultra-macho atmosphere when I chose to get my ears pierced. Oddly enough, for a bunch who prided themselves on being observant of their surroundings, it was over a month before anyone even noticed. People tend to see what they expect to see and what they expected was me without pierced ears. When it was finally noticed, our boss wanted to implement a dress code that stated that no men could have pierced ears, possibly exactly the sort of to-do you want to avoid. My supervisor, who knew about me being TG, helpfully pointed out that in order for this dress code to pass muster and not be discriminatory it would have to apply to everyone, including women whether office staff or in the field.

Well, to make a long story short...or at a least a little shorter...the policy died stillborn. I did agree to wear discreet earwear, ie, no big dangly chandelier style earrings and so on and just go with studs or small hoops. And earmuffs. Ha...NOT! Anyway the reason for going on at length about this is not so much to dispute your choice, you seem very much a girl who knows her own mind, but just to point out to others who may be contemplating this step that it's often not as big a deal as we make it in our own minds. Believe me, I did agonize about it before I did it, for me it was a small gesture toward being who I am.

Merry Christmas, Briana, to you and yours.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • December 21, 2010 10:31 PM GMT
    Hi Joni,
    Where do you get designer ear-muffs?

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
  • December 17, 2010 10:26 PM GMT
    Earings are the things to embellish me that I should buy more.

I am more now with playing with small magic magnets balls, that could be perfect for creating your own creative ring or bracelet. For a pair of earings their weight is high as I am not used to it and because it creates physical magnet attracting effect. But, at least, I create what I want.

I might surely go for buying real ones. And maybe piercing my ears too.

Thanks,

Fleur
  • December 17, 2010 8:41 PM GMT
    You could try 'Claire's Accessories'....that's where I got my clip-on earrings from. They are quite cheap, lightweight so don't hurt your ears and have a nice selection, so you can buy a few pairs and see which ones you like best and which suit you!
  • December 17, 2010 7:58 PM GMT
    having my ears pierced was my first step of transition. the first gold studs led to lotsa big danglies. I tried clip ons but they stung after a couple of hours so I went to danglies and have huge choice. feel naked without em now.
    • 1195 posts
    December 17, 2010 6:47 PM GMT
    Amanda
    I wear hoop earrings. I got them from Cliptomania.com. Plus that's where I get just about all my earrings.
    They sell only clip earrings.
    have fun
    Gracie
  • December 17, 2010 5:46 PM GMT
    I bought mine from 'Make Me Beautiful'. It didnt quite manage that, but I am very pleased with the earrings. Check their website out at the following link:
    http://www.make-me-beauti[...]ngs-21/

They have a good selection of hoops too at:
    http://www.make-me-beauti[...]ngs-29/

Happy shopping and hope you find what you are looking for.

Kellyx