Just started down the path of no return

• 539 posts
    May 7, 2003 2:01 AM BST
    I saw the doctor today, and she prescribed hormones. To start out, I am taking 0.625mg of premarin per day. That is a low dose, but the plan is to ramp it up gradually so that it is not a shock to my system. That seems like a good idea.

I told the doctor that I wanted to keep hormone use to the minimum necessary to have the desired effects. Overdoing it can be dangerous.

Earlier today, I took my first pill. Of course, I have felt no effects yet, aside from the excitement at finally beginning this step. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Heather H.
  • May 9, 2003 2:55 PM BST
    HI HEATHER ,WELCOME TO THE HORMONE CLUB...I STARTED WITH THE SAME DOSE,BUT NOW I TAKE 2 PILLS (.625) AM & PM.IT'S NOT MUCH BUT IT DOES WORK,SLOWLY OF COURSE.AFTER ABOUT 2 MONTHS YOU'LL NOTICE SOME CHANGES AND YOU'LL REALLY START TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF..(WATCHING LIFETIME TELEVISION AND CRYING hahaha)DID THE DOCTOR TELL YOU TO KEEP A TRANSITION DIARY ???IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO KEEP TRACK OF THE CHANGES ,MEASUREMENTS FROM START TO FINISH.I USE MINE NOW TO PLOT MY "CYCLE" BE PREPARED BECAUSE YOU'LL GET ONE EVERY MONTH..THE FIRST TIME I GOT IT I FELT REALLY LOUSY AND BLAH,SICK TO MY STOMACH,SOMETHING I COULD'NT PUT MY FINGER ON.THE NEXT TIME I GOT IT I CALLED MY OB/GYN SHE ASKED ME A FEW QUETIONS AND TOLD ME TO CHECK MY DIARY..SHE TOLD ME "WELCOME TO THE LADIES CLUB" WELL, GOOD LUCK GIRL KEEP US POSTED PHYLISS-MARIE
    • 539 posts
    July 8, 2003 3:06 AM BST
    Just a quick update...

The allergy medicine, although it hasn't cured everything, is helping. The increased breathing capacity is helping me with speech therapy - my voice is coming along nicely.

There are still not many noticeable physical changes, but I have noticed more soreness in the breasts in the last two weeks or so. I increased the Premarin dose to 1.25mg/day in early June, and for now, I will stay on that dose; I don't feel like I am done evaluating it yet.

Heather H.
  • July 9, 2003 8:57 PM BST
    Heatherh,

It takes several weeks to note some effects but you are in the right way if you are feeling good
    it's really nice to feel the changes day by day

annik
  • May 7, 2003 6:30 AM BST
    Good girl Heather

It is advisable to subdivide your daily dosis into smaller parts, if only possible. So you´ll have a more constant amount of the hormone in your blood system. Ups and downs are not comfortable and less effective for your development.
    You´ll find the first signs probably in two or three weeks. And that normally is soreness in breasts. If you get a well being or nausea is an open question, both are possible.

hugs

Laura
    • 539 posts
    May 9, 2003 5:15 PM BST
    I have set up a place to keep a record of physical changes, and I periodically write articles describing my experience. All of this is located on my website for all to see.

http://gendersociety.com/membersites/personal/heatherh/

As time goes on, I will record the physical changes there. I like the idea of helping others by describing my own experience, and the website is a good place to do that. It has also helped me explain things to friends and family members - I simply refer them there.

I have now been taking one pill every morning since I got the prescription a few days ago. So far, I don't notice much, but I don't expect to. I expect it to take some time for the effects to kick in, especially since I am taking a low dose. All that I notice is some slight changes in sensation, such as my hands feeling a little better than they usually do (they don't seem quite so dry). Also, the mild depression that has plagued me lifted immediately, but I suspect that is mostly psychological - a sense of relief at finally starting hormones.

Heather H.
  • May 10, 2003 3:39 AM BST
    I NOTICED RIGHT AWAY THAT THE HORMONES HAD A CALMING EFFECT ON ME...AFTER 2 MONTHS I DIDN'T NEED ANY MORE PRESCRIPTION "CHILL PILLS"....PHYLISS-MARIE
  • May 13, 2003 6:03 AM BST
    Anything new Heather ?

Yes Phyllis, I noticed the calming effect right away, too. Like the feeling "you don´t need to hurry any more, you are there".

hugs

Laura
    • 539 posts
    May 14, 2003 12:47 AM BST
    The depression has not come back - that sense of well-being has persisted so far. Also, just today I noticed some aching in my chest - minor but noticeable; perhaps that is the beginning of breast development. I am patient - I have decided to remain on the present dose until about the end of the month. That should give my body plenty of time to get used to it.

At the end of the month, I will probably double the dose. The present dose is definitely not enough to cancel out all of the testosterone, but it is a start.

Heather H.
  • May 14, 2003 4:04 AM BST
    Hormones do take time to show their effect. Years to produce good results. Make sure your Dr has examined you for medical conditions that might make long term
    taking of them dangerous. Dont tke too strong a dose than the Dr prescribes. Im a daibetic So I cant take them. It has been know for hormones to cause cancer if they are not taken properly.TS's can get breast cancer too. You have to take them for the rest of your life or the effect will go away.And see a DR regularly But if they work properly you can all most become like a real woman nice and shapely. Im lucky I have boobs that seem to have deeloped naturaly. The rest of me Ah! alas I wish I could take hormones
  • May 14, 2003 7:20 AM BST
    Heather

In the transition period, 24 - 36 months being most of it, the body needs quite agressive estrogen levels to reshape itself. After the active transition a lower level can be taken, especially after the testicles have been removed.
    The estrogen levels needed for the transition are three to four times higher than the amount needed later on to keep the results.

hugs

Laura
  • May 23, 2003 9:30 AM BST
    Heather?

I´m curious, is something happening about you?

Laura
  • May 23, 2003 4:19 PM BST
    HI HEATHER, THAT "ACHING" IN YOUR CHEST IS CALLED PUBERTY.I HAVE A LOCAL FRIEND WHO'S 39 AND TRANSITIONING ABOUT THE SAME LEVEL AS I AM.SHE CALLED ME ON THE PHONE TO TELL ME THAT HER "BOOBS" HURT HER AND ASKED ME WHAT SHE SHOULD TAKE FOR THE PAIN.I TOLD HER HOW ABOUT SOME COURAGE.THE WORLD IS FULL OF TEENAGE GIRLS GOING THRU THE SAME THING AS WE ARE .THE'RE OUT THERE PLAYING SPORTS,AND GOING TO SCHOOL AND NOT COMPLAINING...P-L-U-S THE'RE GETTING THE OTHER THING TO GO ALONG WITH IT...SO BUCKUP GIRLS WE CAN DO IT TOO!!! hehehehehe LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE ,AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE TO WEAR A TAMPON PUBESCENTLY YOURS....PHYLISS-MARIE
    • 539 posts
    May 24, 2003 4:20 PM BST
    Nothing new yet - as expected, the low dose is having very little effect, but interestingly, the sense of well-being persists. It is about time to increase the dose.

I am trying to decide on something. I have severe allergy problems and the doctor gave me samples of three different medicines. But being a typical scientist, I did not want to change two things at once. For the experiment, I need a control, so I must compare my situation before and after starting hormones, with everything else remaining the same. I also need to do the same with the allergy medication.

What I need to figure out is do I want to increase the hormone dose before trying the allergy medication, or do I want to remain on the same hormone dose while I experiment with the allergy pills? I can't do both at the same time or I may confuse the results of one with the results of the other. If I decide to test the allergy pills now, then I probably need to wait another two weeks before increasing the hormone dose.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    May 26, 2003 5:34 PM BST
    For now, I have decided to stay on the starting dose and try the allergy medication. I have had trouble with allergies for a long time, and I hope the allergy medicine will help that. Perhaps I will feel a lot better. So I will evaluate the three medicines over the next two weeks and not even think about changing the hormone dose until that is done.

I have read about the hormones and I expect some degree of emotional turmoil - in a way, I look forward to it. It sounds interesting.

Heather H.
  • May 27, 2003 5:31 AM BST
    Heather

I have lost lot of my allergy during thr HRT. I need no asthma medication any more. I got my hay fever in my puberty, probably in connection with my testosterone rise and now when my testosterone is gone, so is my hay fever - asthma.

hugs

Laura
    • 539 posts
    August 1, 2003 5:26 PM BST
    I am still on 1.25mg/day of premarin. The effects have been interesting enough that I wanted to evaluate what is going on before I increase the dose.

There is definite breast development now. Although the physical size has not increased much, a change in the consistency of the tissue inside is noticeable, and the nipples are getting a little puffy. If I brush against the nipple or run into something, I definitely notice it! My breasts are getting quite sensitive.

Also, I noticed that the ring of fat around my belly (which was caused by sitting in a cubicle for nine years) is gradually moving downwards. My waist measurement and weight have not increased, but my hips are beginning to grow.

Even on a low dose, things are starting to happen. This, to me, is a good sign. Hopefully, I will not ultimately require a massive and dangerous dose.

Heather H.
  • August 30, 2003 3:14 PM BST
    Congrats Heather on the start of the changes
  • May 9, 2003 3:31 AM BST
    Well, it's hard to divide 0.625mg, but for larger doses, I agree with Laura. I do that with my herbal supplements.

Heather, that's great news. Did your doctor decide on the Premarin herself, or did she discuss other options with you, and you two decided on that one? I'm just curious (as always).