Herbal 'Hormones'

• 2 posts
    February 27, 2004 4:37 PM GMT
    Hi,

First post, so here goes !

I have been taking Black Cohosh since the beginning of January this year and over the last 3 - 4 weeks my breasts have felt 'fuller' and the nipples more sensitive. No growth or anything, just that feeling of being there, which is rather nice.

This was not really what I was expecting, as I'd read that herbals are a waste of time. Is it all a figment of my imagination, or have others found this ? I suspect it is my wishful thinking !

Any similar feelings ?

Rachael
    • 2 posts
    February 27, 2004 6:33 PM GMT
    Hi Cindy,
    Wow, thanks for your encouragment !
    I haven't yet been to my GP to see about 'the real stuff' and thought I'd check out the herbals. I am looking forward to getting started - hopefully this year, but there's a lot between now and then. I'm older (53) so time is running out. It really hit me 7 years ago, and as everyone knows, it never goes away, just gets stronger.
    Ho hum, this is an encouraging place; glad I found it.
    Best
    Rachael XX

• 1 posts
    August 1, 2004 12:12 AM BST
    Hi racheal just started taking black cohosh. do not realy want to feminise my body(the missus you know)but would realy like that girlie feeling. Seems to me you are geting what i want out of black cohosh.

Julie Stirling
  • February 28, 2004 2:44 AM GMT
    I used herbs for a year or so. They do a little, but they don't even compare to chemical hormones, hich are usually prescription drugs. I'm glad I tried herbs first, because it prepared me psychologically for what would happen with real hormones, and I was in a better position to make my decision. Some might disagree with me, but I think it's generally a good idea to start with herbs before trying the hard stuff. Of course, age and health are always important factors, so your doctor might have other advice that is specific to you.

I did notice some results with herbs, but they were very slight, and I was also taking finasteride before & during the herbs, so I don't know how much of what I felt was from the herbs themselves. The thing about herbs is that most doctors and herbalists recommend against taking large amounts for the long term. It takes huge amounts of herbs to produce even the slightest results, but be careful not to take more than the recommended dosages. Herbs can be toxic in large amounts.