Forum Search - has never worked for me

• 2573 posts
    September 21, 2004 5:37 PM BST
    http://gendersociety.com/perl/community/cfsearch.cgi

can't get it to find anything no matter how I enter information. Cannot even find my own Forum entries. I get "Total Results: No matches to your search" This has never worked for me. It makes it difficult to follow up and to avoid asking questions on topics that have been discussed. I am fairly certain that others have the same problem. Does anyone have any input on this? Thank you.
    • 338 posts
    September 21, 2004 6:26 PM BST
    never even knew there was usch a feature..

Just tried it with the same results you have got.

Anyone ever used this feature and had it working who may be able to shed some light on this?
    • 2127 posts
    September 21, 2004 6:51 PM BST
    Yes, there seems to be a bug in the forum search feature. I have managed to make it work by specifying my keywords but by not changing any other criteria.

Although that seems to work okay, it's not good enough because you are supposed to be able to specify which forums to search, dates and authors. Asking for any of those extra bits seems to stop it from finding any results.

I believe this problem will be addressed in the next version of the forum software.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    September 22, 2004 10:34 AM BST
    I have tried Forum Search with no keywords (only my own username) with keywords like "a" "and" "TG" "girl" and my own or other usernames and nothing else...no go...or only with keywords and no username...again, nada.

Nice to know I'm not going crazy.
    • 2127 posts
    September 22, 2004 1:24 PM BST
    We'll get it sorted out soon I hope. I have a list of bugs about a mile long that the programmers need to see to.

Most of them should be resolved with the next version of the software, although new releases nearly always mean new bugs that weren't there before.

Don't you just love computers!

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 456 posts
    September 22, 2004 4:57 PM BST
    Same thing here girls - it definitely does not work as it should
    • 2573 posts
    September 22, 2004 10:20 PM BST
    Ok, so we didn't solve the problem, but it is a lot like coming to TW. At least I don't feel alone any more. Thanks all.
    • 2127 posts
    September 23, 2004 1:07 AM BST
    If Trannyweb were just an HTML web site I could sort these probs out myself. But it's not.

It's actually a huge collection of PERL scripts that interact with each other and most of the pages you see are generated on the fly, each time they're requested.

Because it's software driven, it really is much better than anything we could do with simple HTML and although there are bugs, I am 100% sure that this is the correct avenue to follow.

We have come on soooooo much in the last two years and it's all down to the wonderful people who make up the membership and the software (albeit a little quirky here and there), which is here to accommodate them.

As the weeks and months go by it really is getting better and better.

You may or may not have noticed but your survey answers are already being acted on.

There's a way to go yet but but we will make this the best web site for TG people in the world and you are all part of it.

If I'm starting to sound like Dr Evil please let me know and I'll tone it down a bit.

Hugs,

Katie x

• 2573 posts
    September 23, 2004 1:23 PM BST
    Katie, Trannyweb is a magical place. Don't worry so much about it not being perfect. Sure, we would all like the chat to work more smoothly, but that is only because we get so much from your work and we hate it when the inanimate world intrudes on the wonderful experience of being here, of interacting and sharing and comforting and learning. But the truth is, with all it's problems, Trannyweb is our home and it's good far outweighs it's problems. We love you for what you have done and appreciate the changes you have facilitated in our lives. As far as I am concerned, TW already is the best website for TG people in the world. If all the girls, guys, TA's, et.al. who feel that way were to line up to give you a hug....you would get very tired before we finished.
    • 2127 posts
    September 23, 2004 2:37 PM BST
    Thanks Wendy. I'm just sorry that the improvements always seem to take so long to get done.

The programmers I'm constantly referring to are a very small company in Quebec (there's about 5 or 6 people working there).

They have plenty of other customers apart from us, always seem to be inundated with work and never seem to have enough staff.

That's why it takes so long to get things done.

The new chat room was paid for and delivered about six weeks back. We've just been waiting for Eric the programmer to find enough time to install it and integrate it with our 'environment'. Then we can get rid of the clunky old chat room for good.

That should also lessen the load on the server, making the site run faster.

Anyway, those who want a hug, form a line please...

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2573 posts
    September 23, 2004 7:05 PM BST
    Clever girl, Tiina! Where did you pick up that trick? I'm pretty good at tuning searches by selecting terms but that one is clearly from an approach I have never seen. Are there more little tricks like that? Have I missed some dark art like HTML or JAVA somewhere that has that info? Spill it girl! Geek to geek give me the skinny.....puleeeze.