new chatroom

• November 6, 2004 11:53 PM GMT
    Katie, thanks for providing the new chatroom. It means I can chat to my sisters from the safety of my Apple computer for the first time. It’s really fast too, and the audio and video facilities should be a real advance.

As with anything new, there are some things to fix. So here’s a list. I’m sorry if these points have been made before.
    • I can’t use my own icon – there seems no alternative to the standard ones provided
    • it’s not possible to access others’ profiles, even by clicking the button that’s supposed to show them
    • navigating to another page has the effect of leaving the chatroom
    • on re-entry, the sound and picture settings refer to default so I’ve lost any changes
    • there doesn’t seem any way of getting into someone else’s personal chatroom (we were trying just now).

I’m sure these will all be sorted out soon. It’s still a better chat experience though. So thanks again.

Catherine
  • November 12, 2004 11:59 AM GMT
    Cat,

Easiest way to combat the navigating away and getting disconnected is to have 2 Internet windows open at once. Keep on on Trannychat and have the other for something else or if you use Mozilla or Firefox use two tabs, works for me anyway.

As for the rest I think that is a normal feature with Java based chatrooms as several others I have used seem to do the same thing even if you save a profile etc.

But like you said its better than the old room in that it works and our Mac using sisters can join in, so see you in there soon I hope.

Take care
    Alex
    xxx

• 338 posts
    November 12, 2004 5:27 PM GMT
    welcome to the apple community can see the health level going up in the chat room.. apple a day etc..

own icons: the chat software has a limit of 40ish max icons which rules out individual icons, also i can only guess at the bandwidth they used. however it is possible to change the standard ones.. i reckon having a few for things like 'BRB', 'AFK' etc would be useful, so if anyone fancies drawing a few... who knows from the manual changing them ain't to hard.. on a similar note smilies can be added

profiles.. um there is a problem here tis true.. for now a work around is the 'whos here page' from the main site.

navigating to another page leaves the chat room... this is the same as the old chat room?? think of the chat window as embedded in the login window but one that takes less room and you'll be fine.

sound and picture settings appear to have saved for me, though video not working here just yet.

perosnal chat rooms? not actually tried that, i think they are password protected by default with the creator setting up the password. exactly how this works in practice i'm not sure of, but worth posting if anyone finds out.

and i agree that its better... and as soon as i've got mozilla sorted on my linux box i'll be using that.

way happy here
    • 2127 posts
    November 13, 2004 2:41 PM GMT
    Hi girls,

I know it's not the same as the previous chat program but this new chat software really is a huge leap for us. We now have the fastest, most reliable, most feature rich (and most expensive) chat software there is.

However, it's going to take a little time to get it integrated with the rest of the site so please bear with us. If I had the money I could have a team of programmers do it all tomorrow, but I don't so we'll just have to save up and do it a bit at a time.

The personal icons used by the old room were part of the problem as they all had to be reloaded at every refresh making it one of the slowest rooms around. There were also many other stability problems with the old room which slow down the whole site and caused the server to crash completely on a regular basis. It just had to go.

I'm looking at replacing the user-icons in the new room with something more femme.

We'll also have a page showing which smilies are available soon (they're all up and working now but the listing page isn't).

The software is set to try to keep the chat window open when a user moves to a different page. This doesn't work on every system though, and depends on your own setup. As Alex pointed out, the easy way round this is to have a second (or third) browser window open.

The profiles button did work when Eric initially integrated the new software into the site. However, somewhere along the line I appear to have broken it. I don't know why and am waiting for a chap from Digichat to fix it. As soon as it's mended, highlighting a user's name and clicking the "I" button will bring up their profile (and picture) in a new browser window.

When you create a personal chat room you are given the option of entering a password. I've you leave the password field blank, other users will be able to go straight in. If you enter a password, your visitors will need to know what it is in order to gain access.

Finally, welcome Mac users and also Linux and Unix people. Netscape and Opera users should have no problems now.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,

Katie x