Where's all the fashion stuff?

• 2127 posts
    February 28, 2005 8:07 PM GMT
    I hope you don't mind but I've swiped a few of your ideas from this thread to use as polls around the community?

What's a puff ball skirt?

Hugs,

Katie x
  • February 28, 2005 9:59 AM GMT
    Ladies,

There's one topic that unites all of us here in one way or another and that's errr .. clothes. TV TS whatever, we all got to wear something, specially in this weather. So where are all the forum discussions on fashion. Apart from a few breathy debates on the usual suspects; heels, boots, fishnets etc. there's very little reference to this rather essential topic, or do we all dress in grey boiler suits (I think not) Come on girls let's have have a little more talk about the things that really matter ..

.. Is the poncho dead yet?

.. Can you really wear tights with denim skirts?

.. Can anyone except Kylie get away with "that" green?

.. Is "stone" the new beige?

Right; I'll start the ball rolling .. I didn't see anything on the Oscar red carpet that I would give house room to - discuss!

Cerys xx
    (ans = yes, yes, no, silly)
  • February 28, 2005 10:35 AM GMT
    Yup I meant that green

It's the kind of colour you can just taste, like sherbert-lemon sweets! I'm sure it would make me look ill but some people seem to look great in anything, grrrrr!

Hmm, not sure how I feel about red - for summer?

Cerys x
  • February 28, 2005 12:10 PM GMT
    A quick search on Google for "Fashion Directions" brought up www.fashioncapital.co.uk a London based site

According to them skirts for summer include: Tiered gypsy style skirts, A-line, puff ball, ruffles, dirndls, full petticoat, flared and wrap.

.. hmm that's not so much a direction as a catch-all. Somebody is sitting on the fence! And I'm sorry but how many times have they tried to foist "puff ball" skirts on the world, nobody but nobody looks elegant in a puff-ball! (not even Kylie)

Cerys xx

• 1652 posts
    February 28, 2005 1:38 PM GMT
    have to agree about the puff balls, the only time we're going to see those is either growing in a field, though not this time of year, or worn for novelty value. i could see gwen stefani in one for example, for some outrageous video shoot, girls on the street - i don't think so.
    i've never been a follower of fashion, though if gypsy and a-line are in this year then that makes me a trend setter!
    janis joplin said, "if it feels good do it",
    lucy diamond said, "if it looks good wear it".
    xx
    • 456 posts
    February 28, 2005 3:57 PM GMT
    That green dress of Kylie's reminds me of a set of curtains my mother-in-law used to have. Same green and same sort of material. We eventually manaed to persuade her to throw them in the bin. As for denim what is wrong with dark tights - especialy the patterneed ones - seems ok to me.

Sorry did not see the Oscars so cannot comment however, it woould be nice to be able to attend a fancy occasion and get the full makeover and dress. It is rumoured that some of the A-list celebs are paid over $250,000 for wearing a dress. I would do it for much less!
  • February 28, 2005 4:16 PM GMT
    Hiya Tina

If my mother-in-law, or even her curtains, looked half as good as Kylie in that dress I wouldn't have let off the handbrake and tipped her over that cliff!

Ooops!

Cerys xx
    (Would wear any old curtains for a fiver, go on try me)
  • February 28, 2005 8:32 PM GMT
    Katie

The puff ball skirt is an item so ridiculous that all images of it have been removed from the internet - trust me I've googled and there are none! However I did find this description ...

"A Puff ball skirt was made of material double the length that it needed to be which went from the waist down to the length you wanted then folded over back up to the hem - with basically 'air' inbetween!"

Does that help? Probably not!

Cerys xx

stop press ..

Hard to tell from this image, but imagine you took the hem of a long skirt and pulled it up and fastened inside your knickers, this is actually a rare and almost flattering example ... they were usually more errr ... puffy!

and more ...

A more modern example.. don't be taken in they never look like this when worn by mere mortals! Grayson Perry will love them, lol!
  • March 1, 2005 10:05 AM GMT
    It gets worse, not so much puff ball skirt as one huge puffball. This from Amanda Craven one of the "rising stars" London Fashion Week ..

Don't laugh, you'll all want one by next month, I know you will!

Cerys x
  • March 1, 2005 12:49 PM GMT
    OK I was wrong about the Oscar dresses, I hadn't spotted this one ..

Cate Blanchet (gorgeous)They wouldn't have to pay me to wear that I'd slip it on for free!

Cerys x
    (of course it's my size!!)