Proposal from a t girl

• 2573 posts
    March 26, 2005 8:42 AM GMT
    "Why not form a transgenderd church
    and take marriage out of the perview of the govenment and let the churchs do
    it. Then with a TG church anyone who wanted to could get married and to hell
    with radical Christian right and their apostles of ingnorance. They want to
    control who can get married, hand it to them, let the churchs do it, then
    just form a church to marry gays and whoever..." -anonymous t girl

Any thoughts on the legality of this in your country?
  • March 26, 2005 2:14 PM GMT
    Wendy

As I understand it the only church in the UK that can perform a truly "legal" marriage is the C of E (Anglican), marriages in other churches are not technically legal without the presence of a Local Authority Registrar (A government paid official) to witness the signing of the paperwork.

Personally I have a feeling that same-sex marriages will probably become legal in the UK (and most of Europe) in the next few years as the EU Human Rights Act is tested in the courts and legislation develops to keep up.

Cerys xx
    • 2627 posts
    March 26, 2005 2:38 PM GMT
    Wendy there are churches that do perform gay weddings. But in the eyes of the law there not real. But as I'm sure you know that battle is being fought allready. But if the couple getting married are a man & woman. They can both wear a wedding gown. All you need is a preacher with an open mind.
  • March 31, 2005 8:24 AM BST
    I know one married couple where a spouse has transitioned and they want to stay married. The spouse cannot take the last step and change the juridical sex, because that would end the marriage. That causes a life with a contradiction between the name plus the actual gender and the legal gender. Caused by the law.

Laura