Korean Transgender pop group News

• 1652 posts
    March 31, 2005 4:42 PM BST
    it's not that i'm a fan of the euro song contest but i do occasiaonlly take an interest. yes dana international's song was crap, but then aren't they all? doesn't it HAVE to be crap to win? personally i'd like to see songs entered that are written with the intention of being good songs, and not designed solely for this increasingly farcical competition. i watched that particular year with interest, and my opinion was that the british song was the best effort, followed by the israeli entry, corny pop pap but more bearable than most. (does anyone remember guido - the german entry that year? ugh). so it was a close thing, songwise, therefore maybe there's no need to ask the question why did people vote for her, but as a ts i can only be reassured that people didn't avoid voting for her because of their own prejudice, and i'm glad she won. i was also exceedingly glad when britain more recently scored null points, because it was the most excruciatingly painful rendition of one of the most godawful songs i have ever heard, (they blamed the foldback, pah). i hope that humiliating experience taught our songwriters and selectors a lesson, that you can't be THAT crap and expect to get away with it. incidentally a joint composition by me and the studio owner i was working for at the time made it through the first round of the selection process one year, obviously too good to get any further; michael ball was our entry that year (i think i prefer guido...) it wasn't my idea to enter before you all have a go at me!
    it's all down to which song is the least crap. on a similar note, did nadia win big brother because she was ts or because the other housemates were even more unbearable...?
    now what were we talking about, oh yes, korean tg pop group. well shan i accept your comments about music industry exploitation, but there would BE no industry without exploitation, and it's a question of perspective. i would have no hesitation, were i young and beautiful enough, to do the same sort of thing in this country; yes the record companies would make money out of it, but the public would take an interest and awareness of tg issues would be raised. perhaps in korea the situation is even worse for tg's, i wouldn't know. the point is that both feed the other and both stand to profit financially. they look good that's for sure, and if they sound good then the public, fickle people that they are, will be more inclined to accept tg's as nice people.
    it would be great if tg's had total equality, but as that is not yet the case, i see it as a good thing that a group such as this is being promoted as a tg group. sometimes you have to make a fuss to get noticed.
    xx
  • March 31, 2005 2:54 PM BST
    Just passing this one on from the Angels list for those that might have missed it. Korean Transgender pop group to make debut album in "euro-dance" style. Full story here ....
    http://english.chosun.com[...]08.html

Oh to be that age again ...!

Cerys x

• 2463 posts
    March 31, 2005 3:40 PM BST
    Shan, YOU'RE jealous? Hell, I'M jealous! Oh, to be that cute!

I do like your point about exploitation by the industry due to their being TG. However, since I don't know the full story behind the band yet I can't really say. Yes, they could be a novelty, like Boy George, or they could start something legit. I always thought that if Culture Club kept a cult, rather than a commercial status, they would have survived much better. But that's just me.

Is the music any good?
  • March 31, 2005 5:43 PM BST
    Here's a link to yet another Korean Transgender pop star by the name of Harisu, including some background and an interview ...

http://jenellerose.com/ht[...]isu.htm

They must be putting something in the water in Korea .. whatever it is can they send some over ..?

Interestingly I think the Italians pulled out of Eurovision about 10 years ago saying it had gone "downhill" and no longer had cultural significance. Did anyone notice?

Cerys x

• 2463 posts
    March 31, 2005 6:14 PM BST
    Oh my, to only be that gorgeous. Seeing these beautiful young girls makes me feel like I'm a man.

Oh, wait, that was a stupid thing to say......
    • 1652 posts
    March 31, 2005 6:33 PM BST
    yes i've heard of harisu, a good article there raising questions about acceptance of tg's in general. it must be easier if you're drop-dead gorgeous!
    the feminists kicked up a fuss when it was revealed that she was to do an advert for women's sanitary products; how insulting to them for an ex-man with no need for such things to advertise them on telly. perhaps they didn't realise that for several months post-srs panty liners are a must!
    • 2573 posts
    April 1, 2005 9:01 AM BST
    Shan,
    You are just looking at this the wrong way. Exploiting TGs like any other person is equality, not prejudice. Do you want to be treated the same as any person, or special?
  • April 1, 2005 12:48 PM BST
    I demand to be exploited like all other women!!

Isn't that what equality is all about? Finally, we move into the strange ironic world of transgender feminism where we all burn our bras, dress in boiler suits and demand to be paid for staying at home. Do we hate men now or what?

Cerys xx
    (Does the ironing .. but only ironically)
    • 2573 posts
    April 1, 2005 1:09 PM BST
    Maybe they are exploiting them because they are Korean

It's true, Shan, Paul Robeson did the same thing and opened up Hollywood for African-Americans. He took a lot of sh*t but he hung in and made life better for millions of people. He paid the price too in emotional damage. He was a hero, and my favorite black, male singer. Not all heroes, or heroines, carry guns.