CA Judge strikes down "gay" marriage ban

• 2573 posts
    April 1, 2005 3:31 PM BST
    Tues March 15, 2005-SAN FRANCISCO- Daily News article by Lisa Leff

Judge Richard Kramer

"...ruled that California's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional---...if upheld on appeal, would open the way for the ...state to follow Massachusetts in allowing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere." He stated that "...no rational purpose exists for limiting marriage in this state to opposite-sex partners," and that the laws violate the civil rights of gays and lesbians because they "implicate the basic human right ot marry a person of one's choice." The decision has an outomatic stay of 60 days to allow time for appeal. There is also the possibility that their would be an attempt to amend the state constitution.....but remember, this state approved medical prescription of marijuana and continues to fight the US Federal government over the issue. California, in 1948, was the first state to legalize interracial marriage.

• 2463 posts
    April 1, 2005 3:38 PM BST
    Actually, Wendy is telling the truth. It is not a prank.
    • 2463 posts
    April 1, 2005 3:41 PM BST
    If you're going to pull my leg you better put lotion on it first........
    • 588 posts
    April 1, 2005 5:30 PM BST
    For some reason... recently... I have been thinking of California

Linda
    • 2573 posts
    April 1, 2005 7:20 PM BST
    Linda,

Los Angeles and San Francisco both have active GLBT communities and neighborhoods. Lots to do. Downside, your makeup melts off your face in the summertime. Must have a/c car. Upside, winters are warm and lots of shopping. Oh, and the sun does not shine all night.
    • 588 posts
    April 2, 2005 4:44 PM BST
    I love hot weather. As for an ac-car: I dont even drive. I do have a license, though, but haven't used it for years. So, I'm a certified dangerous driver.
    As for the midnight sun: Yes we have long summernights.(though I must say: no midnight sun in Oslo, being too far south.) But we have long dark winter days too.
    Anyway, I would like to leave Oslo - the main thing maybe. So many dark memories here.

Linda
  • April 2, 2005 7:05 PM BST
    Hi Wendy,

Here in Northern California (San Francisco bay area),
    we usually don't get the "Hot Weather" like LA. Summers here can get quite cold. (relative to california - not Finland or Norway).

Even with the open minded attitudes of the people here in the SF area, being TV or TS is still quite a challenge. Perhaps someday.....

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn