Noticed anything?

• 2127 posts
    May 27, 2005 9:17 PM BST
    Has anyone noticed that the Trannyweb site is running considerably faster than it ever has before?

We made a simple change a few days back which seems to have resulted in a large speed increase.

We simply removed the "Please welcome our newest member" feature from our stats section and pages now load on average 2 seconds quicker than before.

In some cases the time saved is even more marked, for example in the forums where we appear to have shaved about 5 or 6 seconds off the time a page takes to load.

Hope you've noticed and that you like the result.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 338 posts
    May 27, 2005 9:52 PM BST
    every littl ehelps, though currently me running on a 1meg link so i've blamed that for any apparent speed changes from me older 300k one.

tis the way to go, small steps
    • 2463 posts
    May 27, 2005 10:31 PM BST
    When you said "Has anyone noticed anything" I was going to say "Kendra still has her black dress." We of the MSS really have to increase our efforts.

Katie, you never fail to make us happy. Thank you so much. Now, if you want to assist us in the raid on you-know-who, there might be some additional incentives in it for you.

Love, Mere XXXOOO
  • May 27, 2005 11:26 PM BST
    Yeah I noticed something .. Claire came back!!!

Where ya been girl?

C x
    • 2068 posts
    May 28, 2005 12:38 AM BST
    i have noticed katie......and i like it!.thanks for all that you do for all us girls.Clair....where you been hiding?..outer space.Welcome back anyway.love and xxxxxxx anna-marie
    • 2627 posts
    May 28, 2005 5:58 AM BST
    Yes I noticed the speed change. It's very welcome. Also your new banners for the most popular places here. I no longer have to wait for the full page to load before going to the blogs or forum.
  • May 28, 2005 7:52 AM BST
    Yes the forums do seem to load faster, well done Katie. Keep up the good work.
    • 614 posts
    May 28, 2005 9:26 AM BST
    to start with when i see the tittle of this thread i thought you was going to tell every1 i was back online again , but any way yeah things seem to be loading a lot quicker , well done katie keep up the good work hun .
  • May 28, 2005 3:55 PM BST
    I had noticed things seemed to be a little more responsive, especially with multiple windows open and the radio player eating bandwidth but have to be honest and thought it was down to France Telecom cleaning the line since the thunderstorms.

But then you have to say every little helps, people these days just don't have the patience of old. Everything has to be instantly available, if it takes a couple of seconds too long then they are gone. Sad really, just to enjoy the old days when you could drink your tea whilst waiting for a page to load.

Do like the new "most used" banners, much easier to find the main features.
    • 2573 posts
    May 29, 2005 3:39 PM BST
    Actually, I thought the new most used page links were just decorative and never used them. I only realized they were "hot" when I read this thread.

Actually, it seems to me that pages are loading slower the last few days. They seem to hang up forever sometimes.
    • 1198 posts
    May 30, 2005 11:55 AM BST
    Agree with you Wendy,

today the pages seem to be a whole lot slower, maybe its me.....hugz Julie xx
    • 2627 posts
    May 30, 2005 12:26 PM BST
    My responce to Julies Morning post like to never finish.
    But overall navigation is still pretty quick.
    • 2127 posts
    May 30, 2005 4:05 PM BST
    That's interesting. They still seem to be flying to me.

Have you noticed any pages in particular that are slow to load?

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2627 posts
    May 30, 2005 5:43 PM BST
    Only when I click on post.

Add on ...that loaded pretty fast.
    • 1198 posts
    May 30, 2005 7:04 PM BST
    Same as Karen really Katie, when i click post.......it just seems to hang there.......hugz Julie xx
    • 2127 posts
    May 30, 2005 9:24 PM BST
    Eric has just made some changes to the way the forums work and I'm really impressed. The main forums page used to take an eternity to load.

I've just tried it now with 21 people online at once and it loaded in just under 8 seconds. That's amazing.

Please let me know if you think we're flying now or if there are still problems?

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    June 1, 2005 2:02 AM BST
    We are now able to see exactly how much time it's taken the processor to create a page.

At the bottom of each page there is now a line that shows the time taken, like this:

Page Generated In: 0.435424089431763 seconds

However, this figure does not include the amount of time it takes to transmit the information to your computer. That will vary depending on what kind of connection you have.

Still, it's a step in the right direction.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    June 3, 2005 12:44 AM BST
    Eric made another change today, which seems to have speeded things up even more.

For the techies among you, he installed Apache::DBI which adds MySQL connection caching to mod_perl. It eliminates the need to reconnect to the MySQL database for each page view. The connections are held open and reused which has a positive impact on the amount of time it takes to create a page.

Please do let me know if you think things really are faster.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    PS Techies can now see how long each plugin took to create its part of the page by looking at the bottom lines of the source code!