Hardiners disrupt TG beauty contest

• June 27, 2005 4:23 PM BST
    From the BBC ...

A transvestite beauty pageant in Indonesia was the scene of an unusual clash on Sunday when it was interrupted by a hardline Islamic group.

More here ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/h[...]167.stm

Cerys x

• 2627 posts
    June 27, 2005 4:34 PM BST
    Why are people so afraid it'll rub off onto children.
    Do they think I walked by a TG as a child & was infected.
    If so I owe that person my life.
    • 2068 posts
    June 27, 2005 4:35 PM BST
    cerys hun, i read that piece and have to say that this "group" are nothing but a bunch of W****rs! don't they realise that this is the 21st century we're livin in and not the dark ages.But then i suppose you'll get these idiots trying to force their beliefs on everyone.Love and xxxxxxx anna-marie......p.s it was so good to meet you in person at last
    • 2463 posts
    June 28, 2005 2:39 PM BST
    I posted a similar thread some months back called "A TG Incident In Chicago." At a northside YMCA there was a TG fashion show. As the girls were leaving, parents were coming in, bringing their kids to a swimming lesson. The parents started mouthing off to the girls and a scuffle ensued.

Thanks for the update.
  • June 28, 2005 8:04 PM BST
    Mere's post reminded me of the Chicago event.

People get into verbal altercations all the time. Perhaps even a bit of pushing and shoving. It's not news.

Put some of the guys in evening gowns and, hey, "that's news."

What was the most depressing was the "solution" to the problem: have TG events at the Y end earlier, so no one would see them. Not tolerence, but segregation.

Kari
    • 1980 posts
    June 29, 2005 12:19 AM BST
    What, they're afraid their kids may be influenced toward tolerance and acceptance? Heaven forfend!

Hugs...Joni
    • 2573 posts
    July 1, 2005 7:20 AM BST
    Karen,

I have been walking past ggs ALL day, even brushing against them but so far I have NOT changed into one. It was a good idea, sister, but sadly it just does NOT seem to work that way. Fudge!
    • 2627 posts
    July 1, 2005 3:29 PM BST
    Wendy I'll bet you feel better. Rubbing on gg's allways works to make me feel good.
    • 338 posts
    July 3, 2005 11:59 AM BST
    if the bbc got this right can you see the headlines int he daily mail the next day.. horror! think of the children etc... until people like that change things not gunna move.

events like this get disrupted cus the peeps doing it crave the media attention, if in so doing they got portrayed as bigotted morons etc (not saying they are mind, i don't know enough about em to say that) then i doubt they would. while ever the mainstream media helps em this way they keep doing it