Hunting Permit .....!

• June 30, 2005 3:56 PM BST
    Read the text in the picture below carefully ..

Spotted on the back window of an SUV in Los Angeles

There's an old wive's tale that Americans don't get irony .. please tell me it's not true and that this is some kind of huge joke ....!

Cerys xx
    • 2627 posts
    June 30, 2005 4:05 PM BST
    Joke yes funny NO. To many people feel that way. Would like US to go back to 1955 life style & keep it there.
  • June 30, 2005 5:19 PM BST
    Maybe many people in the US don't understand the subtleties of irony.

I mean, if someone thinks such a joke is funny, then just 'not getting it' would explain a lot
    • 2463 posts
    June 30, 2005 5:44 PM BST
    Irony is lost on a lot of people because not too many want to take the time to utilize their brains.

Like Karen said, the country is in fact moving in that direction.
  • June 30, 2005 7:47 PM BST
    Not to mention stupid enough to think that they could get it!

My parents used to tell me that such people were mythical creatures, but since growing up, I've come to realise that there really are peopl out ther who are that incredibly moronic.
    • 1195 posts
    July 1, 2005 3:56 AM BST
    Scary ain't it? This has become a humorless society. The comics in the "funny papers" aren't funny anymore.
    Sad but true...
    Revolution?
    • 2463 posts
    July 1, 2005 4:23 PM BST
    Tiina, thanks for your vote of confidence. I will try to get these manifestos done. I just haven't been myself much lately.

I've always wanted a revolution. I can't stand what's going on. But, as I've recommended before, read the classic late nineteenth century novel "Caesar's Column." As I've said before, we also have to consider what will happen when the revolution is done. This book addresses that issue, as well as those who use revolution for their own gain. It's interesting that he wrote it about 30 years before the Russian Revolution.

I just saw that Sandra Day O'Connor is stepping down from the Supreme Court. If Rehnquist does the same, that means George W. Liar will have two appointees.

I fear for the future.
  • July 1, 2005 8:26 PM BST
    The true irony is that these "patriotic" shit heads are financing global terrorism every time they fill their gas tanks.
    • 539 posts
    July 3, 2005 3:48 AM BST
    The U.S. is full of creeps who like to claim they are patriotic; they are the ones who fight tooth-and-nail to hold us back whenever there is any sign that progress might be made. These are the people who fought to defend slavery; they are the people who fought against the vote for women; they are the people who fought vigorously in favor of racial segregation; and now they are the ones who vehemently oppose civil rights for anyone who isn't just like them. They are also the ones who think that the "Good Ol' U.S.A. of America" is the only worthwhile country in the world, and if we decide to roll over somebody else, they had better just learn to enjoy it.

This isn't patriotism; it is rabid nationalism of the worst kind, and I fear that it is getting worse. Can anybody say, "Disunited States of Balkan-style Warfare?" That is what we will be if these fools keep pumping up their crazy nationalism.

By the way, living here in the conservative West, where Democrats are an endangered species, I see this sort of humor a lot. It doesn't surprise me in the least; I have seen similar things for sale at gun shows. The crazy right-wing propaganda at those events can be quite entertaining. (Actually, I like guns; it is one of the few things I have in common with the redneck nationalists.)

Heather Harrison