Harry Potter - Does anyone care?

• 2463 posts
    July 13, 2005 3:53 PM BST
    Hi girls,
    I thought I'd get away from the political bickering for the moment. Unless you're under a rock you obviously know the new Harry Potter is out this week. My daughter is beside herself. She's participating in all these Harry Potter activities, and even won Honorable Mention for this H.P. writing contest (including a new sorting hat song - it's cute!).

Does anyone really care? The last book, "Harry Potter and the Order of Boredom," uh, I mean, "Phoenix" was about 900 pages of sheer mediocrity. NOTHING HAPPENS FOR THE FIRST 600 PAGES!! It's just Harry brooding and not getting along with anyone. Then the author suddenly kicks it into gear and crams in everything in those remaining pages. She must have been paid by the word. "Goblet of Fire" was long but interesting. At least that had a plot.

I just want to see "Bride and Prejudice."
    • 1198 posts
    July 13, 2005 4:36 PM BST
    My kids love it and as Ziggy has said it gets kids to read, ok the author has made a shed loads of dosh but she has also brought enjoyment to loads......hugz Julie xx
    • 2573 posts
    July 13, 2005 4:42 PM BST
    I'm sorry, I don't have time to participate in this ridiculous, fantasy discussion. I have an heavy infestation of Cornish Pixies that I must deal with. I must call Maryanne Talmadge for a spell.
    • 2463 posts
    July 13, 2005 4:44 PM BST
    I should make one thing clear that I didn't in the original message - I do like the Harry Potter books. It's just that the last one was sooooooooo bad that it pretty much soured me on the series. I'm hoping she'll redeem herself.

When I first started reading the books some years back I couldn't put them down. And I know I'll read the new one.

I agree - it gets kids to read. My daughter has read all of the books at the ripe old age of 7. She has the books on CDs (I forgot who reads them) and listens to the disks constantly. I am all for anything that gets kids to read.

You should see all the activities they have going on here in Oak Park. One little district is being turned in Diagon Alley (did I spell that right?).

So, I'll stop being cranky because I didn't like the last one. A lot of people I know do agree with me that it could have been much shorter.

Ziggy, you are correct that the religious right protests these books for that exact reason you listed.
    • 2627 posts
    July 13, 2005 11:19 PM BST
    I realy do injoy the books but I'm not going bonkers over it.
    If someone doesn't give me a copie I'll wait untill it's in paperback. I can't see paying that kind of money for something I'll read in 3 or 4 days.
    But these books turned my nephews son around. The kid would't sit still untill Harry Potter. He had to read it to know what the other kids were talking about. To fit in. This kid went from the bottom to the top of his class in 2yrs. When his history teacher said his class book was full of stories he read it from cover to cover in just 2 weeks.
    • 121 posts
    July 14, 2005 12:47 PM BST
    Hi Tiina- what's Harry doing Maryanne's besom (broom).lol
    • 121 posts
    July 14, 2005 12:52 PM BST
    Hi Meredith-I know what you may feel about the book,now I don't know how old your daughter is but it's wonderful she's reading books and should be encouraged to do so.I do feel that young people are spending less and less reading.So I say again lets encourage them to do so regardless whether we think it a good or bad book.Lots of love Alli,xx
    • 121 posts
    July 14, 2005 12:57 PM BST
    Hi Meredith-me again apologies for not reading your last post here,I'll know to do so next time.You can slap my wrists.xx
    • 2463 posts
    July 14, 2005 2:04 PM BST
    Alli, there's no reason to apologize!

My daughter will be starting second grade this fall, and already reads at almost a 5th grade level. We really instilled in her the love of books. She loves the library, as do me and my wife. Like I said, when she isn't reading H.P., she's listening to the narration on CDs. Her advanced educational level led to some problems at one school because they wouldn't give her harder work. I've mentioned all this before.

For Halloween she goes as Hermione. My daughter has this naturally curly hair that women pay big bucks to get, so she can pull off the Emma Watson look (although Emma, no offense, is not naturally curly). With the skirt, a wand and robe, it was one of the inexpensive costumes we ever assembled for her.

For her birthday last year she had a Harry Potter slumber party, complete with a quidditch game in the backyard. Me and my wife made the cake ourselves, with all the H.P. decorations.

Tomorrow her and her best friend will be attending a "Divination Tea," then at night they're going to a performance reading of the "Prisoner of Azkaban." Kids are encouraged to dress up and participate in the performance by being Hogwarts students. Then, much later, she'll get her award for winning that writing contest I mentioned.

So, as you can tell, Harry certainly rules the roost around here!
    • 26 posts
    July 15, 2005 2:02 AM BST
    I love Harry Potter... I just hope the Dursleys get teir cumuppance eventually though I recon they will probably end up comming to terms with things instead...I have been trying to get hold of a Griffindor scarf from warner Bros shop but they always sell out before I can buy one.. they only ever have Slitherin stuff left ..I mean WHO would buy Slitherin scarves or badges? they Must make a loss on Slitherin memorabillia? anyway I broke my HP mug so i need a new one anyway so with the new book comming out no doubt the shops will be full of them again... BRILL!
    • 26 posts
    August 21, 2005 11:17 PM BST
    Well you all had time to read it now so tough if you havent...Prof X KILLS Prof Y at the end and it is really shocking but I think it was planned that way and that Y sacrificed himself for the good of all and that it will Give X more credibility as an undercover Inside spy with the death eaters..... i dont think X is really a baddy and I recon that in the last book , he will become Harry's mentor.... all this is necessary for Harry to win against Voldemort (oops sorry) " he who shall not be named" lets just see if Im right .... I cant wait! ....oh yes.. and another thing... I hope harry , hermione and Ron all get their leg over next year but with the right person , cos Id like their first time to be nice....xxx
    • 2463 posts
    August 22, 2005 2:37 PM BST
    I finished the book a week or so back. My opinion has totally changed. It was very good. Much MUCH better than the "Order of Boredom," I mean, "Phoenix" book. I read the last several chapters to my daughter and actually found it difficult to get through some passages.

Pippa, I agree. There's more there than meets the eye. I think something is definitely up.
  • August 22, 2005 7:31 PM BST
    Sorry Pippa but I decided to change the names to protect those who haven't had a chance to read the book and would like to do so in blissful ignorance of the facts.

Blabbing the end is a hienous crime second only to letting your mobile ring in the cinema.

Alex
    xxxx