Chat Rooms Upgrade

• 2127 posts
    July 22, 2005 4:55 PM BST
    Hi girls,

The Digichat people will be performing an upgrade to the latest version of Digichat very shortly. When they do, the chat rooms will be down for a while.

We need to have this work carried out so please do bear with us if you try to enter chat and get an error message. I'll let you know when it done by updating this thread.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    July 22, 2005 8:00 PM BST
    Here's the latest on our Digichat upgrade.

It should happen at some time on Monday (25th July). When it does, the chat room will be down for at least two hours and possibly longer.

I hope that this new version of Digichat will cure some of the problems we've been having with the chat room recently.

On Monday, when we have a better idea as to exactly what time the upgrade will start, I'll try to let those who are on-site know.

Thanks for your patience and hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    July 23, 2005 5:19 PM BST
    When we first got Digichat we were able to go for several months without it crashing.

It's getting silly now. It's crashing every 4 or 5 hours. I'm hoping that replacing the whole thing with the latest version on Monday will fix the problem for good.

The Digichat tech support people seem to think it will.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that it does.

Hugs,

Katie x
  • July 23, 2005 11:26 PM BST
    Katie, what do we get for the upgrade, apart from fixing a few bugs?
    • 2127 posts
    July 23, 2005 11:41 PM BST
    Hi Catherine,

Long time no speak. The upgrade will mean we'll get a chat room that doesn't crash every four or five hours.

There is no cost for this upgrade. Digichat are very well aware that we should have had a product that worked properly from the start.

It will just mean some disruption while the work is carried out, in that the chat room will be down for about two hours.

We will also shortly have a second chat room that has nothing to do with Digichat. Right now it's a big secret but all will be revealed very shortly.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    July 29, 2005 2:31 PM BST
    Although I don't want to tempt fate, I am pleased to report that our new version of Digichat has been up and working for five days now and has not crashed even once.

It working faster than ever too. We will continue to monitor the software for a while yet though, just in case there is a problem.

One or two of our girls who were able to access the chat room before the upgrade were unable to connect after the upgrade. It may be that this version of Digichat requires a later version of Java, because when the girls visited http://www.java.com, their access was restored.

Hope that helps.

We're always trying to make things better. It's a tough job but we're getting there.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 121 posts
    July 29, 2005 3:55 PM BST
    I wish it worked for me,since i downloaded the current java I can't access the chat room at all.Bring back the old chatroom I say apart from being slower it had no problems at all,if it weren't broke why fix it.xx
  • July 29, 2005 3:57 PM BST
    Katie,
    Certainly seems to be working better now although the profile "i" button is still playing its silly games with some. Oh and from time to time some people are getting kicked out for no apparent reason. Nothing too serious a problem but if Digichat do another upgrade it might be worth mentioning these to them.

Alex
    xxxx
    • 2127 posts
    July 29, 2005 4:56 PM BST
    Thanks for pointing that out ALex. I'll pass it on to Digichat.

Alli, we haven't replaced the room at all. It's exactly the same in every respect except that it's a later version of the software. Digichat have fixed some bugs which caused the previous version to crash every four to five hours.

There were some occasions before the upgrade, when the crash occurred while I was asleep in bed, and was not able to restart the chat room till the next morning.

Hopefully that is now a thing of the past.

Hugs,

Katie x

PS I wonder if Katherine and Clair, our tekkie girls can shed any light on why you are having probs with accessing chat?
    • 2627 posts
    July 29, 2005 5:08 PM BST
    I've had java problems from day 1 but I got in with out trouble.
    She gave up to fast. I just use different browers for different things.