Some recommendations

• 2463 posts
    August 22, 2005 8:33 PM BST
    Hi girls,
    Yes, I've been off in exile again. But I'm back. I just HAVE to make two keys recommendations.

"The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Okay, it's been around a while and I'm sure many of you have already read it. My wife, and students alike, said I would like it. I checked it out of the library and didn't touch it. Then, Thursday night I started reading it. I literally could not put it down. In my drab state I could be the lead character Robert. While being an historian gave me a certain advantage, I did enjoy figuring everything out in advance. I finished the book in record time. Record time for me, that is. I was up to almost midnight on Friday reading it. I kept walking around the house giving microlectures on things like the sacred feminine and some issues Brown didn't cover, like the Fertility Cult (this is NOT meant as a criticism, though). I know they're doing a film version of it with Tom Hanks, although I think I'm better suited for the part. Even if I have to be in drab. Maybe Robert could be Roberta. I have just the cute outfit to wear.

Then, today I took my kid to go see "March of the Penguins," a good documentary about the life of the Emperor Penguins in Antarctica. I remember reading the original National Geographic piece on the birds a year or so back. See it if you can.

One last thing - I did finish the latest Harry Potter and give it a full endorsement.

And before anyone asks, YES I AM STILL LISTENING TO LIZZIE McGUIRE ON MY OWN. Happy now?
  • August 22, 2005 9:51 PM BST
    Hi Mere,

If you liked Davinci Code, try his other books

Angels and Demons

as well as

Deception Point.

I've done the same with both these books. Spent a weekend on each.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn

• 2463 posts
    August 23, 2005 1:57 PM BST
    Gosh, Pippi.....do I sure as heck remember that movie from the 1970s.

My daughter has read Pippi at school. We're going to read it at home. She loves Pippi.
    • 71 posts
    August 23, 2005 2:08 PM BST
    I agree about the da Vinci code- finished it yesterday. Loved the way it made you try & figure things out & loads of interesting facts.
    One of my favourite books is Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon- I highly recommend it!

BTW, just got Just Like A Woman & Hedwig and the Angry Inch on DVD today, so can't wait 'til Sarah gets home from work & we can curl up with a couple of films