Whatza "Womble"

• 1980 posts
    September 6, 2005 9:38 PM BST
    Hi-

This is for all you UK girls, especially you London girls. I belong to a Yahoo group that has a little questionnaire for new members, things like what name do you want us to call you by, what are your interests, where do you live, etc.

One of the girls is from London and she also said that technically she was a "Womble" and that girls from London would know what that meant. So what is it? I assume it must mean some part of London or its environs? Just being curious.

Hugs...Joni
  • September 6, 2005 10:24 PM BST
    Ahhh more children's TV nostalgia

http://www.wombles.easywe[...].co.uk/

Let's all sing the theme tune ....

C xxx
  • September 6, 2005 11:20 PM BST
    Hi Joni. The Wombles come from the Wimbledon area, in particular the green space known as Wimbledon Common. They have a passion for clearing litter. And they're always terribly nice to each other. A lesson for the rest of us perhaps?
    • 588 posts
    September 7, 2005 12:26 AM BST
    I remember them.. from my baby sisters childhood. Their motto "Making good use of bad rubbish"... makes sense. From my own childhood, however, and making as much sense of it as at all possible:

pink creatures.. living, wisely, inside their cold planet..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult[...]les.ram
  • September 7, 2005 8:32 AM BST
    Oh Linda darling, your despcription of Wombles was excellent, however your picure is of the "Clangers" - an entirely different breed of knitted wool animal.

I must admit I had never noticed the similarity between the two before - perhaps someone should do some genetic tests to establish who begat who ...?

Cerys
    (Nostalgia's not what it used to be)
  • September 7, 2005 10:38 AM BST
    As Catherine said Wombles live on Wimbledon Common and clean the place up by collecting and reusing all our rubbish. The name has become a nickname for anyone who comes from or lives in Wimbledon (SW19).

Now can we remember all the names??

Great Uncle Bulgaria,
    Tobermory,
    Orinoco,
    Thomsk,
    MacWomble (could that be me???)
    and the French cook but I'll be damned if I can remember how to spell it.

Can anyone think of anymore.

Alex
    xxxx
  • September 7, 2005 11:09 AM BST
    Alex

"Madame Cholet" was the French cook, for a full cast list, with mug shots look no further than this link ...

http://www.wombles.easywe[...]ain.htm

For the new series (yes it's coming back!) I see the old faves have been joined by some newbies; "Alderney", "Shansi" and the appearance of the first Womble of African Origin "Stepney" ... oh it's political correctness gone mad.

Sammy, no way do you remember Pinky and Perky and not in Black and White, you weren't even born when they were consigned to the BBC archive

Cerys xx
  • September 7, 2005 11:59 AM BST
    Well that'll make a change from "Dirty Dancing"

... not sure it'll get me in the same mood though

C xxx
    • 1652 posts
    September 7, 2005 12:20 PM BST
    I loved the wombles, Bernard Cribbins' voice-overs were great.
    I used to fancy Madame Cholet, maybe it was the French maid's outfit, or maybe I'm really transwombled.
    xx
  • September 7, 2005 12:27 PM BST
    I'm "TransClangered" .. a Womble stuck in the body of a soup eating, moon dwelling wool creature ...

.. it's torture I tell ya

C xxx
    • 1980 posts
    September 7, 2005 3:33 PM BST
    <lol> How fun! So Wombles are from Wimbledon...gotcha! And I am so totally happy that a silly question from a girl across the pond could bring back such happy nostalgic recollections for all of you.<lol>

{Hi Cat!<smooch>}

Hugs...Joni
  • September 7, 2005 5:02 PM BST
    Tiina

.. had you ever sat through Pinky and Perky you would know the meaning of pain too ....

Cerys xx
    (With the bleeding ears)