Handy Phrases

• September 9, 2005 8:59 AM BST
    Joni

In French the phrases would be (as a rough but understandable translation):

"Va te faire foutre"
    "Ta mere est une ânesse"
    "Ou est la toilette, s'il vous plâit?"
    "Monsieur! un boisson s'il vous plâit!"

If you want good service in a French café or restuarant never ever call the waiter garçon, you'll either get ignored or worse it won't be coffee creamer in your café au lait!

Alex
    xxxx
    • 1980 posts
    September 7, 2005 5:17 PM BST
    Okay, girls, down toward the bottom of the thread about "What Are You Wearing" Sammy posted that she was learning Turkish and had already learned how to tell someone to f*ck off and that their mother's a donkey. I posted a followup saying if you could say those two phrases plus which way to the lady's room and bring me a drink, you were pretty much covered for any situation.

Which leads me to the purpose of this post. We have so many ladies here who can speak other languages besides English (don't you think Polly Glott would make an interesting t-girl name?), so why don't we have a TW language lesson and learn those phrases?

So how do you say:

"F*ck off!"
    "Your mother's a donkey."
    "Which way is the lady's room, please?" and
    "Waiter, please bring me a drink."

in some of the various tongues represented here on TW? Don't bother with the English ones, we already have a handle on those, I think. See, TW is not only fun it's highly educational as well.

Hugs...Joni thirsting for knowledge in Oregon
    • 1980 posts
    September 8, 2005 4:47 PM BST
    Hi SL-

As I mentioned in my first post, Sammy had said on the thread that you started about "What Are You Wearing?" that she had learned a couple of handy phrases in Turkish, "f*ck off" and "your mother's a donkey". I consider these two fairly essential and quite useful phrases in any language as well as how get a drink and how get to the loo. So I'm asking for anyone who speaks a language other than English to chip in with translations so no matter where a TW member might find herself, she will be totally prepared for any situation.

Tiina has kindly obliged with several helpful translations. Gracias a usted, Tiina. Usted eres una chica tan hermosa y tan listo.

Hugs....Joni
    • 1980 posts
    September 9, 2005 7:04 PM BST
    Hi Tiina-

Sorry about the hiccups, hope you're feeling better. Basically what I said was that you're a very lovely and very clever girl. None of the phrases that were mentioned in the thread were used and certainly none ever would in your case. Well, maybe the drink one.<lol>

Hugs...Joni