shaving

• September 11, 2005 12:48 PM BST
    i have always had trouble shaving my body hair. i always tend to take chunks out of me when i use a conventional razor so last week i bought an electric body shaver but i still manage to miss bits. can anyone give me some advice on how to remove my hair without spending a fortune. many thanks
  • September 11, 2005 4:04 PM BST
    Hi girls
    Well after 56 years ( well minus the first 15yrs maybe hee hee) I still havent found a painfree cheap way. Its a chioce of ingrowing hairs or a rash for me. The legs arnt too bad now. I think after all the years of shaving, the hairs have given up and now grow back a bit thinner. If you shave them in the shower every day it helps.

Dorothy xx
    • 1980 posts
    September 12, 2005 1:39 AM BST
    Hi Joanne-

I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but I shave from my eyebrows to my toes every day using a blade and I have the scars to prove it!<lol> Taking a chunk of hide out usually happens when I'm in a hurry, so what I've found is taking my time helps. I use a Gillette Venus3 but there are other good razors out there, I'm sure. That's just the one I like.

Maybe it's just me, but the electric razor I have doesn't too a very good job or at least to get a good job I have to go over and over each area in different directions and it takes way, way longer than just shaving in the shower. When I shave in the shower I also use baby oil for a lubricant (be careful it makes the shower floor really slippery) and I always use a defoliant to help stop ingrown hairs.

Anyway you look at it, shaving is a pain (literally and figuratively) but the only other way to stay smooth is to go for either electrolysis or laser hair removal.

I'd be very interested in hearing what other girls have to say, too.

Hugs...Joni
    • 1652 posts
    September 12, 2005 2:01 AM BST
    My skin just doesn't like me using blades, even if I don't cut myself. I used depilatory cream for quite some time, found that reasonably cheap and easy. Now I use an epilator, it seems like torture to start with, but I've got used to it now and wouldn't be without it. It takes longer than most methods, and it hurts, (but hurts less the more you use it), but I would imagine the results last as long as waxing, as it actually plucks the hairs out.
    I still use the cream occasionally, especially if the hairs are long (the epilator hurts more then!), as long as you're not allergic and you don't leave it on too long it does give a lovely smooth result. Don't bother faffing about with the spatula, smear it on (wearing latex gloves from your DIY store) and wash off in the shower with a flannel or a sponge. Easy-peasy and silky-smooth!
  • September 12, 2005 10:14 PM BST
    Hi Joanne Jone the club I think most of us have done the same thing there is no cheep pain free way of geting rid of unwanted body hair shaving I thin is the best way but you will have a few nicks and cuts I don't think there is any way around it. Hope this helps P.S. I've had the same problem it's just part of being a woman
  • September 12, 2005 10:19 PM BST
    thanks for all the tips
  • September 28, 2005 12:09 AM BST
    No Problem