On Being Transsexual - Part Two

• 2463 posts
    November 13, 2005 5:02 AM GMT
    I've been doing more revelations to my family. I come from a family of 6 kids - 5 are left as my eldest sister died 3 years ago. My youngest sister knows, and today I told my older sister about being TS. She was totally cool with it. She actually seemed happy about it. Go figure.

I also had some more serious talks with me mum. I told her about being a secondary TS. She asked questions like how long have I felt this way, do I think I was born in the wrong body, am I going to have surgery, and so on. I answered honestly. It didn't upset her at all.

Now that it looks like my marriage is definitely on its way out, I really need to decide which direction I will head next.

On the really plus side, when I was at my house today I managed to rescue some items. I'm wearing a skirt today for the first time in almost three months.
    • 1980 posts
    November 13, 2005 1:48 PM GMT
    <BIG BIG HUG>

Meredith, I'm so glad for you. Not about the marriage part, of course, I know it's going to be very difficult but about the acceptance on the part of your family, especially your mom. That's great. Hang in there, I think you've made the right decision, hiding and pretending to be who you're not is no way to live. And thank you for your honesty and openness to all of us here in how you're dealing with it, both the good and bad parts. It helps us all to cope with the issues in our own lives.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2627 posts
    November 13, 2005 2:14 PM GMT
    Mere Like Joni I think thats great. Coming out to be TS evan to yourself is not an easy thing to do. Telling others or trying to can realy freeze your words up. That is the biggest truth about yourself you can ever reveal.
    Now if you can just get that job you'll have total controle of your life back. As much as anyone can have anyway.
    • 2463 posts
    November 13, 2005 3:51 PM GMT
    Thanks, Sandra, and the rest of you as well.

I think me mum will be pretty cool about it the first time she sees me. And I think, for the most part, that she'll be able to call me Meredith. The problem is, though, and this comes from anyone who has siblings, I sometimes get called the wrong name sometimes! Mum would be like 'You, no you, no you, no, oh, whatever your name is, get over here!"

Today is now the first day in almost 3 months that I have been as femme as I am now in terms of dress. The only thing I don't have on is wig and makeup. My friend will be back from church in about an hour, and, well, you know.

Yes, it's still a long road.
    • 588 posts
    November 13, 2005 4:37 PM GMT
    Congratulations ! from me too, Meredith. It is a long road, but you sure have passed a major milestone.

Linda
    xx
  • November 13, 2005 5:04 PM GMT
    Hi Meredith, you know I wish you well in your transition because we have emailed on the subject, but you are going through a testing time, all my hopes and wishes are with you - take care
    • 2463 posts
    November 13, 2005 5:08 PM GMT
    Thanks, girls. I really don't deserve this support. As I said before, being TG is the one thing about me I do like. But other than that, I don't like myself much. Especially now.

I'll get there. I'll be all right.
    • 588 posts
    November 13, 2005 8:04 PM GMT
    Well, I agree. I can see there's a challenging AFTER. But that could also be a major reason for not entirely forgetting the terrible BEFORE. To keep things in perspective.
    The things you're mentioning, Sandra - finding a mate, building a new life, keeping the past at a distance - I am thinking about that too. Even though I have barely started my transition. But I don't have too high hopes. Basically, I'm prepared to live more or less the same solitary life as before, but most probably somewhere else. Finding a mate... sounds like a pretty luxurious problem to me. I'd be surprised if I ever do that.

Linda
    • 2463 posts
    November 13, 2005 8:23 PM GMT
    The thing is with me is there is still an outside chance we will reconcile once we start counseling. But who knows? Right now, I don't know what I want to do.

I'm scared. Not about being TS. Just everything else.
  • November 13, 2005 11:10 PM GMT
    Just to say that I think you're very brave. You took a chance in telling your family, and they reacted the right way. That's another source of support when you take the next step. Well done Mere! Brave lady!
    • 588 posts
    November 14, 2005 8:57 AM GMT
    I agree, Sandra, in principle it's better having a mate for some time and then being dumped than never finding anyone at all. It's what I meant by calling problems concerning the building of relationships for "luxurious".
    That's how it looks when standing completely outside anyway.
    I must admit my conclusion to a large extent comes from following this site too. Since summer I have been thinking that even here I ended up in the role of an outsider.

Linda

• 588 posts
    November 14, 2005 11:03 AM GMT
    Somehow I feel more of an outsider than before - out of the closet and out in the cold. But I guess that could be part of the REAL difficulty you were mentioning, Sandra. I don't think it necessarily starts after SRS. To me it seems those problems are here, now.

Linda

• 588 posts
    November 14, 2005 12:12 PM GMT
    Not being able to think of anything else... it certainly have felt very much like that the last months. What you're saying about HRT - I did sense the necessity more than three years ago - and tried out some herbals. A year ago I made my first attempt at ordering hormones without a prescripition. I made another futile attempt in january. And when it failed I told my doctor. But I had to wait for five months and then I only got a clearly unsufficient dosage. The way the system works... or not. It's despicable.

I was very glad when I found this place in late february. But as you well know some things happened.. out of our control. And for me it came at the most stressful moment. So, what you said about luck - or unluck as it were - applies here too. Accidents happen and can leave lasting impressions.

Linda

• 121 posts
    November 14, 2005 1:58 PM GMT
    Hi Meredith-I feel so happy for you and that you were brave enough to confide in your family.One big step taken,just a few more to go.Wishing you all the best as always,lots of love Alli,xxxx
    • 2463 posts
    November 14, 2005 2:11 PM GMT
    Girls, thanks for your comments. In my case, problems in the marriage are/were more than just the TG issue. There were other things as well. All this does now is give me greater freedom to really explore without fear of retribution, or at least, not yet.

I have no idea what I will do from here in terms of finding someone. Right now my main concern is on finding a full time job SO I CAN GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS HOUSE!!!!!
    • 2463 posts
    November 15, 2005 2:23 PM GMT
    Last night I wound up having a fight over the phone with my wife. I damn near told her about being TS and not just a CD. It's a good thing I held back. That doesn't need to be out right now. At least, not until we get the custody situation with my kid figured out first.
  • November 16, 2005 6:40 PM GMT
    Hi Mere,

One of the biggest things you have accomplished so far....

Being Honest to yourself, your mom and your sisters!

The feeling of not having to "HIDE" is so stress relieving, especially since your sisters and mom were so supportive. AS you move forward, I would encourage you to begin MAPPING OUT what you want your life to be like. It doesn't have to be a concrete plan, but it will help you avoid living in react mode.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 2463 posts
    November 16, 2005 8:33 PM GMT
    It has been nice to have the openness and honesty. I will indeed start getting together a game plan. The next few months will be very telling for me.

Thanks again to all of you
    • 2463 posts
    November 18, 2005 1:58 PM GMT
    Wow, 1000 posts. Am I really that talkative? Don't answer....

I am starting to make my decisions on the supposition that I am never getting back with my wife.

What I am starting to consider now is not only venturing out, but reporting for work en femme. I won't do it just yet. I should have a serious talk with my "regular" doctor first and see what I'll do about HRT first. I guess I should eventually tell my dad, too.

I really wish I had some TW sisters here in my area to help me out a bit with the makeup. I've already discussed my manual dexterity before, so there's no need to go into that now!
    • 1980 posts
    November 19, 2005 12:09 AM GMT
    Hi Meredith-

Congrats on the 1000th post thing. It's not about talking a lot, it's about being part of the community. Yeah, that's it.<lol>

As far as the going out and the makeup thing, I wish we lived closer to each other, I'd love to help out if I could. One thing you might consider is maybe contacting a salon in your area that does makeovers and booking a private session. I bet you could even go in boy mode if you wanted to. Or there are lots of places online to get information and tips, as I'm sure you know. I really like Kevy Aucoin's website and his books. Or if you decide to go out maybe hit a cosmetics counter for a makeover. I've done it a few times and never been treated rudely by anyone. Most sales staff, especially at bigger department stores have helped lots of girls like us, they won't bat an eye. And they have always been more than helpful in explaining what they're using and why and what they're doing and how to do it yourself.

Good luck girl. And I think you're making the right decision to make plans for going on with your life just in case things don't work out with your spouse. I wish you the best.

Hugs...Joni

• 2463 posts
    November 19, 2005 1:34 PM GMT
    I know while we all look in the mirror and visualize ourselves as a woman, when did you REALLY look and see it?

This morning, before jumping into the shower, I saw myself in the mirror. Part of it was to see how much weight I've lost. But I didn't see a man. I saw Meredith.

These next few months are going to be very interesting.
    • 2627 posts
    November 19, 2005 2:41 PM GMT
    Sandra you are so right on that one. I can use a ton of makeup or just a little around the eyes. But no matter what I try I look like a man with makeup on. I'm not fooling myself. What I want & what I am are never going to meet.
    • 2463 posts
    November 20, 2005 2:45 AM GMT
    Come on now, Karen! When we finally get together we'll go get makeovers together.

I once wrote in a blog that I would need help with makeup and that Nena Williams would do it for me because I'd look like I applied it in a dark closet with a roller brush. Nena's response? "How did you know I used a roller brush?" Ah, that Nena!

One of the moves I'm making these days is referring to myself more as "Mere." I've been doing it at work a little. They haven't caught on yet. Then again, most of my co-workers are about 20 years younger than me, so the idea of "different" names may be lost on them.
    • 2573 posts
    November 20, 2005 4:26 AM GMT
    Mere,

Of course you deserve our support. You are one of our sisters.

I understand needing to get out of the House from Hell. I really do.

It's always hard losing someone you love. Even when you know it's necessary and it's in your control. Even when they stay in your life. Being GLBT or "heterosexual" or whatever does not change that pain and is not the cause of it. It just happens to be part of the situation that is causing the split that is causing the pain. You never truly "get over" it. You just learn to deal with it like all the other pain that enters our lifetime. You try to make the split as loving as you can and hope for the best. I split with my ex some years ago but now I am seeing her about once a week to go shopping and out to eat with her. yes, it still hurts, but....so did being with her. We can't stop your grief, but we can understand it. I'm glad you keep coming back. <hug>

Wendy Larsen
    • 2627 posts
    November 20, 2005 4:34 AM GMT
    Mere, I'm going to hold you to that.
    • 2463 posts
    November 20, 2005 1:37 PM GMT
    All right, Karen. And I will share with you. I'll take Anneliese and you can have Angela. She has a talking belt.

Thanks, Wendy. Right now it looks like things are back in limbo again with the marriage of a definitive answer. I'll blog about that later. AND - if I get one of these jobs I've been interviewing for I am getting my own place ASAP, even if it's a broom closet. Hey, that way I can come out of the closet! Okay, bad joke.

Right now I do have a lot going on in my own life to keep me occupied. If someone told me at this time last year what things would be like now I wonder if I would have believed it.

What do I care? They're all still asleep and I'm downstairs all dressed up!
    • 1980 posts
    November 20, 2005 2:13 PM GMT
    Wendy! You're back! I'm so glad.

Hugs...Joni
    • 2463 posts
    November 20, 2005 6:20 PM GMT
    Yes, it is nice to have Wendy, and her insights, back prowling around TW!

It looks like next weekend I am going to be TOTALLY alone. Guess what that means?
  • November 21, 2005 6:00 AM GMT
    All the best to you Meredith .

And to Linda and Sandra: It is thousand times better to have a boyfriend and the to be dumped because of your background than have none. Yesterday I thought about the saturday night and the kiss I never experienced before. Even if it stopped right now, I´m happy. It gave me so much as a woman and a super confidence boost.

Laura
    • 588 posts
    November 21, 2005 8:38 AM GMT
    Hope can give confidence, Laura. Thanks.

Linda
    xxx
    • 2463 posts
    November 21, 2005 2:19 PM GMT
    I certainly appreciate your votes of confidence and well wishes. I am starting more and more to refer to myself as "Mere" or "Meredith." Some woman saw my name tag at work yesterday, with my drab name, of course, and commented how her last name is the same as my first. I bluntly told her I'm changing it to Meredith. She just looked at me. What the hell.......why not?
    • 588 posts
    November 21, 2005 6:19 PM GMT
    You are fast, Meredith !
    Seems to me, at a certain stage, nervousness evaporate.
    (Well, almost, anyway...)

Linda
    xx