A Psycho Ninja needs repair advice

• 2573 posts
    February 3, 2006 4:42 PM GMT
    Mere,

I think paying a pro is your best bet and.......well, like being TG it's likely to be discovered one day. Is this a case where the truth is the best road to travel?
  • February 8, 2006 1:20 PM GMT
    Mere,

Congrats on the teaching job!

I hope that means you won't go "dormant" on us here for a while! I know that starting a new job always puts a lot of time pressure on one's schedule.

I've been transferred by my employer to open a new location (#7 and counting in 8 years with them) starting March 5th, so I'll be a bit quiet for the couple of weeks after that, if past history predicts the future.

But, don't worry: "I'll be back."

Hugs,

Kari
    • 2463 posts
    January 30, 2006 3:23 PM GMT
    Meredith the Psycho Ninja struck again. This time I better do something about it.

My dad has this thing about collecting a lot of knick knacks. He has this tacky ceramic statue of the dude from "Fiddler on the Roof," which is also a music box. Last week I managed to knock it off the nightstand where it neatly broke on the bottom. No worries, it could stand up on its own anyhow.

Until two days ago.

I managed to knock it down AGAIN, where his hand broke off as well. Whoops. I have it hidden right now until I can repair it. Hopefully without doing further damage.

Will superglue help this? The breaks are quite clean, so it can be repaired. At least by someone who isn't a klutz like me.

Today I'm cooking my famous beef stew. Let's see how many injuries I inflict on myself as I cut up the meat.
  • January 31, 2006 12:59 AM GMT
    Mere,

Yes superglue will leave a residue that will color, but the compound that is in superglue ( the cheap stuff you get at drug stores and all ) Is available through certian sources. However don't breath the fumes, and don't get on skin...!

I have several lil bottles of it and a big bottle i refil them from ( I do art restoration for the college here in my spare time ) I'll send you a lil bottle if you like

It is clear, very thin ( so very runny so i can send you a "needle" tip to put on the bottle so is controlable ) and dries very fast! you lightly ( very lightly ) coat each side of the parted pieces... then when press them together under 10 secs and is done, 10 mins to full hardened

Would be more than happy to send ya some! ( Especially if it ensures the safty of my dress from being target #2 on the MSS list!!! *Grins* )

*hugs*

~Valerie
  • January 31, 2006 2:12 AM GMT
    Hi Mere,
    Whatever you do -- DONT mix up your repair project and your
    famous beef stew project!!... nothing like supergluing kitchen knives
    to your hand. (just kidding).

BTW - you sound alot happier than a month ago!!!

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 2463 posts
    January 31, 2006 3:17 PM GMT
    Thank you ladies for your wonderful advice. He hasn't noticed the damn thing is missing, so it gives me some time to fix it.

Maybe I shouldn't. I'll probably bust the f'g thing all over again.

Michelle, give me some time and I will find a way to do just that - superglue the knives to my hand.

Val, as I mentioned, your dress is exempt as long as you are a member of the MSS. Unless I start feeling particularly nasty, that is!
  • February 3, 2006 6:43 AM GMT
    Mere,

I once saw a special glue for fixing broken china/ceramics, etc. It's more watery than superglue, allows the pieces to fit togehter closed, so no repair line and it won't effect the coloring/glazing ("and it's dishwasher safe").

I think it was at a Menard's home improvement store.

Good luck!

Be Careful!!!!

Hugs,

Kari
    • 2463 posts
    February 3, 2006 3:55 PM GMT
    Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try to repair it this weekend.

Who wants to start a betting pool to see how much more damage I inflict ON THIS PIECE OF CRAP.

Oh, dear, where is that Midol of mine?
    • 2463 posts
    February 4, 2006 3:20 PM GMT
    Girls, those of you who suggested a pro is actually going to come in handy. I just found out that I start teaching on Monday, so that means I'll have some money to do that.

My dad still hasn't noticed that wretched item is missing. I think I bought some time.
    • 2463 posts
    February 8, 2006 4:04 PM GMT
    Thanks! This place is, shall we say, interesting, but it has been pleasant. So far.

He still hasn't noticed it missing. I've been lucky!
  • February 11, 2006 3:15 AM GMT
    Is there any chance of you sticking it to yourself, I always manage to get more glue on myself than on anything I'm gluing.