What made me think I was French?

• 2463 posts
    July 12, 2006 5:44 PM BST
    I thought I'd share this little humorous tidbit.....

Saturday night I had some time to walk around my new hometown and check out the pubs (nice!). I stopped at one last place for a beer. For some unknown reason I decided to pass myself off as French.

"Uh, pardon, je suis francais......uh, I am French," and I then I proceeded to mix french phrases with english. I even bummed a fag using french.

Karen Brad asked me the immortal question: "You can't go back there now, can you, because they think you're French! If they find out you lied to them they might kick your ass."

Yeah, it might not have been one of my more brilliant moments.
    • 2627 posts
    July 12, 2006 6:40 PM BST
    I didn't say they might kick your ass. Just treat you like one.
  • July 12, 2006 6:48 PM BST
    Maybe you are the first translinguist?

I can't wait to hear about you transitioning to finally live your life in French!
  • July 13, 2006 4:34 AM BST
    Of course I am french, " zat ees why I aam speaking weeth zis stoopid accent " lol
    apologies to monty python.
    • 128 posts
    July 14, 2006 6:36 AM BST
    Yes, fell on my a** walking out of a bar once,or twice?, never went back. Glad you got a cold one!
    • 2463 posts
    July 14, 2006 4:58 PM BST
    I sometimes wonder about myself.........

My shrink today had a good suggestion as to what I should do if I go back there and they wonder what happened to my french accent. She suggested I say I was practicing for a audition! Hey, that might work!

Je suis tres stupid.
  • July 14, 2006 5:59 PM BST
    HI Mere,
    Just don't try the accent on the boat tour....lol...

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 2463 posts
    July 17, 2006 3:12 PM BST
    I'm doing even more around town now. First, I don't bother to remove any makeup if I suddenly run out to the store. I almost went to the laundry room, and trash bin, in full dress.

Then, yesterday, I walked over to the next town to get something from the convenience store. That town is Wheaton, a highly conservative place that is the home of Wheaton College, a VERY right wing Baptist college, and has the Billy Graham library. So what did I do? I put my hair in a pony tail, which stuck out of the back of my cap, put on lipstick, and proudly strolled into Wheaton!

This could get dangerous!
    • 588 posts
    July 17, 2006 5:31 PM BST
    Hm... to me it seems you're out doing some serious psychogeographical research here, Meredith. Not surprisingly, it's a french invented science. I guess some would say of a somewhat dubious nuture. Do take care now
    • 67 posts
    July 20, 2006 6:20 PM BST
    Hey Meredith! Now that you've tried French, can we expect any other languages? LOL That was cute!

Stacy
    • 2463 posts
    July 24, 2006 7:35 PM BST
    You might expect some German from time to time!

I'm a master of the French tongue. I'm good at the language, too!
    • 2573 posts
    August 4, 2006 5:32 PM BST
    error
    • 1 posts
    April 18, 2009 3:11 PM BST
    elo

a little message for France

un petit coucou de France

see you soon

a bientot

Caroline

• 2463 posts
    April 19, 2009 3:08 PM BST
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I often do my coal mine sessions, Zephyr trips, or U-505 tours with a French accent. One time I gave a Zephyr trip with my French accent. When it was over these three 11 year old girls said to me "We were in the coal mine with you 6 months ago and you didn't have that accent."

Whoops.