Running tips - help!

• 2463 posts
    August 30, 2006 1:16 PM BST
    After yesterday's solo moving trip I realized how much I want to get back into the gym. Now that I am at a new school, I will use their facilities.

Yesterday, while carrying a bag, I had to run almost a mile to make a train. My legs are a bit sore, but, knowing how bad my knees used to be, I didn't think jogging would be a good idea.

So, where do I start? I know the value in stretching and taking it easy at first, but does anyone have any other tips? OTher than a good sports bra, of course.
    • 374 posts
    September 5, 2006 10:55 AM BST
    Hi Mere,

I would start by getting a good book for beginner runners. There are quite a few out there so have a look at a few of them before you buy. You might also want to check out your local running store...they will have everything you need including books on running. As for training, it will all depend on what your goals are. The best advice you'll get from most books and other people who run/coach is to take your time and work your way up...and be consistant. You'll be amazed at the results (just think a smaller dress size for that new LBD!)

Good luck in your training hon!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
    • 2627 posts
    September 5, 2006 11:24 AM BST
    Power Walks
    Much better than running. The impact on the knees is redueced many times. You can last longer in a work out burning more fat. If you add simple wrist weights only 5lbs on each arm you can double the work to cover upper body with out bulking.