In a Tight Spot

• 2627 posts
    December 13, 2007 4:38 PM GMT
    Right now I have a washing machine full of undies & nighties. As they were washing 2 men came & set up outside the washroom cutting wood to work on an apartment. There is no way I can get my clothes with out them seeing what I have as I have to carrie it right under thier noses. They know I live alone.
    I don't know what to do. HELP!!!
    • 1912 posts
    December 13, 2007 4:42 PM GMT
    1. Doubtful they will say anything.
    2. If you feel you need to say something, just tell them a friends washing machine broke down so they asked if you could help them out. Shouldn't be a big deal.
    • 2627 posts
    December 13, 2007 4:56 PM GMT
    Maybe it shouldn't be a big deal but I still feel it is. I get scared. Maybe in time I won't.
    But I did say the hell with it & went anyway.
    Yes I could hear them laugh after I passed by & they were saying something to me as I closed my door but I didn't listen.
    I grew up hearing people like me should get the crap kicked out of them.
    That is why I never let on as to how I realy felt untill my mid 40's. Fear, plain & simple.
    • 1912 posts
    December 13, 2007 5:23 PM GMT
    The first thing you need to do is come to terms with nothing you are doing is wrong. All of us have likely gone through this stage worrying what others might think if they see us doing anything related to women. If you just go about your business in a normal way it is very unlikely anyone will notice. It is when you venture away from normal behavior that you draw attention. I can only assume you do laundry on a regular basis like everyone else which is normal behavior. That is the best way to approach this situation, all it is is another load of laundry. Personally I think those guys are pervs for looking to see what you were washing.

So here are Marsha's rules for staying out of tight spots:

1. Accept yourself and understand what you are doing is not wrong.
    2. Don't venture out unless you have a purpose.
    3. Just go about your business disregarding any gender related specifics. Meaning for example; laundry is just laundry, shopping for womens wear is just shopping for clothes.
    • 448 posts
    December 13, 2007 5:48 PM GMT
    Marsha, is absolutely right. It's just an everyday thing. People will only think it is odd if you behave in a way that draws attention to yourself. I'd take it out and let everyone see it. They don't know who it belongs to. If they say anything just make a joke out of it. I wouldn't take my advice though, hon, because I actually quite like situations like that. I enjoy taking risks, any chance to show off really. I'd probably say " can you imagine me in that." Anyway, you're always more likely to be beaten up by someone you know. Anyway, don't forget they have their jobs to worry about. Unless they're also residents doing some D.I.Y. Not sure about that. Just brazen it out. Ignore this post and refer to Marsha's, she has given you some very good advice.
    • 2627 posts
    December 13, 2007 5:58 PM GMT
    I guess I'd better since I tossed out all male clothes except work pants & shirts. It's odd that I can go out in slacks & tops everyday & not think a thing about it. But that felt like I was waving it around, drawing attention.
    I went back to my fears of being outted.
    • 2573 posts
    December 14, 2007 6:39 AM GMT
    Karen,

We all run into unfamiliar situations that make us nervous. I've done women's laundry dozens of times...my ggf's clothes. No problem. Why I should experience it any differently when it's Wendy's clothes, I have no idea. Some of them are the same clothes. It's subjective, not objective. Those two clowns would have made the same comments no matter it was your or your gf, sister or mother's laundry. The problem is with them. They are jerks. So a similar situation can be very different when you are in a different role. The fact is that you will be treated differently, as a tg or gg, than you were as a male. It's likely you will respond differently as well. The key is to find out why you feel the way you do in such situations. Sometimes I can shop for anything with no issues....other times I can't face it. I'm still trying to figure out why. I have my own theories but they are of no value to you. You have to figure out your own feelings, where they come from and how they affect you as an individual. Then you have to figure out how to deal with them according to Karen's personality.
    • 2017 posts
    December 14, 2007 7:57 AM GMT
    I agree with what has been said already Karen, just go about your business in the usual way and you generally won't draw any unwanted attention. Of course, some people are just jerks anyway and look for opportunities to laugh or have a dig at someone else but that is their problem, not your's. Just be yourself.

Nikki
    • 2627 posts
    December 14, 2007 2:45 PM GMT
    The laugh may not have been at me & I'm not positive they were speaking at me. I ignored as best I could. I was so nervous I'm sure it showed.
    If I'm going to get on in this life I have to learn to walk with my chin up. But 40 yrs of programing is hard to over come. I've hid my shame & guilt over what I am because I was allways told how wrong this is. It wasn't untill TW that I knew I didn't have to feel that way, that what I felt wasn't wrong.
    I think time is the key here.
    • 1195 posts
    December 14, 2007 8:56 PM GMT
    Karen, dear, you have to work on that "guilt and shame." It's all in your head. Everyone has given you great council but let's get back to the core of your initial posting.
    You must be careful of your "delicates." A harsh washing machine will not be good for them. Nighties maybe, on a gentle cycle, but slips, panties, bras and hose should be washed by hand. I'd suggest Woolite. Just a little wash and then rinse and then hang them over the towel bar in your bathroom or where-ever. Of course your bathroom will be completely occupied by your wash but whose to know? For heavens sakes, you don't put them in a dryer. Dryers are death to "unmentionables."
    -sage advise(?) from mother Gracie