God Bless the Beauty Salon!

• 734 posts
    December 29, 2007 12:28 AM GMT
    Hi All,

Not really a 'tip' but did'nt know where else to post, lol.

Ah, my local Beauty Salon is my haven. Its wonderfull to go to, the girls all know me now and its so friendly and peacefull. My personal 'time out' which I look forward to.

I usually go every three weeks to have my eyebrows waxed, shaped and tinted or my eyelashes tinted. This is my main extravagance - although its surprisingly cheap where I go - but I think its so important and goes a long way in helping you feel more feminine.

For a special Christmas treat for myself, I booked in [yesterday] for my eyebrows, eyelashes, a facial and a manicure. It was two and a half hours of absolute bliss!

I had no idea how gorgeous and wonderfull a professional hand massage could be!

After an entire afternoon of pampering I was so relaxed, so glowing, so happy, I will definately find more reasons to 'treat' myself!

Anyway, just wanted to remind everyone - not that you need reminding - just what an excellent resource your local Beauty Salon is!

Oh, and the cost? All in, £79 which I thought was good value [even if I did have to scrimp and scrape for it!] [Lucky I don't live in London, it'd probably be ten times that...]

Much love

Rae xx
    • 1912 posts
    December 29, 2007 2:59 AM GMT
    Rae, you are so right about the beauty salon being a haven. I had my hair done Thursday and if I didn't have to pay, I would go there everyday. The first time I went there I'll admit I was pretty nervous. I had called to setup an appointment and when the gal asked if it was for a man's cut I said no it is for a woman's short style. But from day one the gals there have treated me great. On this visit my gal told me a guy named Charles would be more than happy to do my hair if she for any reason wasn't available. Although I'm not fulltime and not out to the world, my salon is a place I don't have to hide my circumstances, what a relief.
    Love,
    Marsha
    • 2017 posts
    December 29, 2007 7:37 AM GMT
    I have never been to the salon.........yet, but it something I am looking forward to sometime soon. I would love to have a facial, manicure and a little eyebrow shaping, nothing too drastic though, skinny eyebrows don't suit me, lol.

First on my list is a make up job though, I would like to see just what they can do with me....lol.

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    December 30, 2007 3:39 AM GMT
    Hiya,

Oops! lol.

I guess you all spotted my typo - the heading should have read 'God Bless the Beauty Salon' but, what the heck, if anyone feels they want to go bless one themselves, feel free!

Just a quick note on the eyebrow wax and shape. I had quite male eyebrows and thought they were beyond redemption. But I was amazed at the difference. Giving them a much more feminine shape - and they don't have to be too thin, trust the Beautician - they softened my entire face and look instantly, which was a complete bonus I never expected.

Tinting the eyelashes has really brought out the colour of my blue eyes.

These are things I could'nt do easily myself and, on average, it costs me £15 a month which I think is money well spent given the effect.

Marsha, you're lucky having great hair - mines a midway cross between Don King and Einstein. On a good day!

Nikki, go girl. Its not really a luxury, its an integral part of being you. Discovering a good salon has helped me look better, feel better and the staff there have become friends and another support network. Helps on every level!

Much love

Rae xxx

• 2017 posts
    December 30, 2007 8:19 PM GMT
    Yes I think it would be nice to do so. I'm spending a fortune on laser at the moment though but I'm sure I can find enough for a quick pampering.

Nikki
  • January 31, 2008 3:12 PM GMT
    I used to get my nails manicured in a basement below a barber's shop in Basingstoke a few years ago.
    Now I use a salon in Oxford. I originally went in to ask if they were happy doing a manicure on a man but in a female style. I go in about every two weeks for my nails - I have to have acrylic nails now because my natural nails can't stand up to my job. On the odd occasion I'll get my eyebrows waxed. My fiance regularly goes there now for an eyebrow waxing and he goes in male mode. We've both bought wigs there and had them trimmed to suit us. However I no longer wear wigs. I normally have my hair trimmed at home by a hairdresser friend but have had it done at the salon. All of the salon staff keep up to date with my transition.

A beauty salon is a lot more friendly place than the barbers. Do they still offer their customers "Something for the weekend"?

Alina
    • 734 posts
    February 5, 2008 1:29 AM GMT
    Hi Alina!

'...A beauty salon is a lot more friendly place than the barbers. Do they still offer their customers "Something for the weekend...'

lol, I'll ask next time I'm in there

Much love

Rae xx