Good news to start my new year

• 2463 posts
    January 4, 2008 12:52 AM GMT
    I know I have not been myself lately due to the overly long hours at the museum. This is coupled with - when I do Pocket Science - being chewed out by angry visitors who couldn't get tickets to the sold out Star Wars exhibit, chewed out when the stupid robot area I have to work is having problems, seeing children cry because they can't get into the exhibit, people mad at the wait time for the coal mine, etc.

The seasonal workers in our department are suddenly all being let go. Some could be hired back for the three part-time permanent spots now open. Then we had no Christmas bonus. I can handle difficult people and hectic days. But those extra hours really affected my physical and emotional well-being.

Then something remarkable happened. I was suddenly promoted from part-time permanent to a full-time spot. This means benefits, OT pay on holidays, time off, and better job security. All my hard work paid off.

Yes, it has been rough lately. But this was the best bit of news I have had in a long time. This is my first real permanent full-time job in years! I was always working all those part-time teaching gigs, seasonal gigs like the boats, or just struggling altogether while the full-time spots continued to elude me.

What a way to start off my new year! I finally have some sort of employment security, and doing something I love.

Mere
    • 1912 posts
    January 4, 2008 1:20 AM GMT
    Congratulations Mere, that is really great news. I don't think there ever was a question you worked hard, it is well deserved.
    Love,
    Marsha
    • 259 posts
    January 4, 2008 1:45 AM GMT
    Way to go Mere! You deserve it!
  • January 4, 2008 7:15 AM GMT
    Congratulations Mere - you know you deserve it !
    • 2017 posts
    January 4, 2008 9:38 AM GMT
    Congratulations Mere, I think it is well deserved giving the hours you have been putting in since starting there. Having some job security is nice regardless of the additional benefits, plus you now have more to spend on shopping!!

Nikki
    • 2627 posts
    January 4, 2008 10:57 AM GMT
    Good for you!!
    With the benefits maybe you can get some help paying for your transformation.
    • 2463 posts
    January 4, 2008 1:08 PM GMT
    Thanks, all........I appreciate it.

Darlene, to answer your question, the Program Interpretation department handles the three main permanent exhibits: Coal Mine, Burlington Zephyr, and the U-505. Then, when something special comes in like Star Wars or CSI, we might be assigned to work those as well. Today I am in the Coal Mine, tomorrow the U-505, then Pocket Science on Sunday.

We do still have the heart exhibit!

Sri Krishna did say I was responsible to action but not entitled to the fruits of my action. He didn't mean being at work, though!

Thanks again, all.

Mere
    • 2463 posts
    January 5, 2008 1:30 PM GMT
    This morning I woke up after putting in the last of the ultra-extended hours. Checking my e-mail, there was a message from the secretary of the department for whom I sometimes teach. It looks like my History of Chicago class is not only a go, but it has over 30 students registered. I never ordered my books because I didn't hear that the class was still on. I take some of the blame for not checking sooner.

Wow.
    • 1195 posts
    January 5, 2008 4:19 PM GMT
    Mere - I'm very happy for you. I'm sure it feels like you finally got your feet on the ground - so to speak- he, he
    Tell us will the teaching conflict with the museum?
    Does the museum has a pictorial history section? Perhaps you could combine both.
    hugs
    Gracie