Back - for now at least

• 2463 posts
    June 6, 2008 1:22 AM BST
    While maybe one or two of you don't care, I had a minor miracle with my laptop, solved by a now-former student. It would take too long to go into it, especially since I can't explain what happened, but I am back online finally. That means I can resume my writing.

I don't know how long this might last, but for now I can finally get back to work.

Mere
    • 2068 posts
    June 6, 2008 1:41 AM BST
    WB Hon.......you've been missed!

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 2127 posts
    June 6, 2008 9:46 AM BST
    Welcome back Mere.

KT x
    • 2463 posts
    June 6, 2008 2:06 PM BST
    While my friend Mauro told me what happened, I still can't believe it happened like that! It all seemed so simple. Plus, the director of the IT department is letting me use some extra equipment to run my laptop. I really do feel stupid for not taking this to them in the first place.

I really want to thank Josie Brissette for sending me her older laptop. We thought we could do some hard drive swapping, which, as it turns out, wouldn't have worked. But, all I have to do now is put in a new hard drive, and we're going to give the laptop to my kid.

I really should learn more about technical stuff. Then again, maybe not.

Mere
    • 734 posts
    June 7, 2008 12:21 AM BST
    Hey!

Its good to have you back! And, no, resist the lure of the black arts!

Much love

Rae x
    • 1083 posts
    June 7, 2008 2:34 AM BST
    Welcome back!

As for learning technical stuff...

**evil laughter**

Come on over to the dark side! You can learn to do so much more that way....

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    • 1195 posts
    June 7, 2008 2:59 PM BST
    Mere
    Don't be seduced by the dark side....there be dragons there. And a bit of voodoo too.
    I used to wonder about the IT people when they would start to refer to the computer as "him" or "her."
    Strange
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1083 posts
    June 7, 2008 4:03 PM BST
    Gracie--

Of course computers are feminine. Always needing more of this and that, tempremental, and they never forget!

As for using black magic...

**grins**

It's not like that at all. That's just what IT people tell you. Some of this stuff is so easy--if everyone knew how easy it was to fix certain things, there'd be a lot of IT people out of a job!

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 734 posts
    June 7, 2008 11:50 PM BST
    I worked in IT, way back, when an 8" floppy was nothing to be ashamed of...

[and my first job at the cutting edge, was to crawl under the desk to remove the cloth filter for washing...]

Rae xx
    • 1083 posts
    June 8, 2008 1:26 AM BST
    **snickers**

Not ashamed to have an 8 inch floppy. Right.

Sounds like some men I know.

--Well, okay. At least they WISH it was an 8 inch floppy...

Seriously--ever work with paper punchtape or punchcards? Now THERE was pure evil! And magnetic tape, like on the TRS-80 model one level two we had when I was a little girl. You know--the "compact cassette." Heaven help you if the voulme was all the way down and you were saving something...I lost more files that way.

I like my flashdrives, thank you very much!

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina