Firefox Browser Problems,....

• 2068 posts
    July 24, 2008 1:50 AM BST
    Girls, this problem has me well & truly stumped & was wondering if anyone can shed some light on it. I have Firefox installed on my PC as one of my browsers, now the other day i downoaded the latest version via IE7 and since then i have had no end of problems with it. Every single time i open FF it freezes solid on me, i even tried re-installing FF2 from the start-up disc and even THAT is freezing too.......and it happens every time when i start a new session or return to a previous one. Best thing is i can't even run it in " Safe" mode without problems.

Any Help/Advice you could give me would be very much appreciated!

Lol xxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
  • July 24, 2008 4:33 PM BST
    >>>i even tried re-installing FF2 from the start-up disc and even THAT is freezing too.......and it happens every time when i start a new session.

I believe FF3 is out now(just in case you didn't know). It a few good new features, and may help solve your difficulties with FF2 if you choose to download it.

Firefox download page

All the best ,

Felicity
    • 2068 posts
    July 25, 2008 12:09 AM BST
    Sarah, i'm using the macafees security suite & their firewall.

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 338 posts
    July 25, 2008 5:15 PM BST
    sounds like a config problem, I think MSIE 7 updates more than just the browser it could be related.

one thing that may be worth trying is to unplug the internet connection and try that, also with it still unplugged try to switch all the anti virus stuff off, and see if FF starts then.

its not that uncommon to find a programme needs to update various settings, which it will do when it starts.

failing to reinstall is probably the programme trying to 'phone home' and failing, didn't think FF did that though.

can't try it here, not running windows any more, and my virtual machine won't upgrade to MSIE 7, even if I let it try.

but this sounds like either a firewall problem or some other conflict, probably caused by MSIE 7 updating some settings somewhere
    • 530 posts
    July 25, 2008 11:20 PM BST
    Windows KB951748 'fix' did just that! It totally screwed a number of Firewalls. Zone Alarm even provided a patch, (within 48hrs, Windows didn't even acknowledge there was a problem) and Windows have subsequently repaired their own c*ck-up. A lot of people had internet access and other problems after installing the 'security fix' See if you have it, general advice seems to be remove it, and re-install your Firewall etc. Then you can update your Windows again. Might be just co-incidental it happened at the same time you were trying FF3.
  • September 14, 2008 5:00 PM BST
    ie7 conflicts with fire fox remove ie7 or downgrade to 6