S.H.I.T. ???

• 2627 posts
    August 5, 2008 1:14 AM BST
    S.H.I.T.

In the 16th century, most everything was transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizer, so largeshipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because it weighedless but once water hit it, fermentation began which produced methane gasas a by-product.
    The manure was stored in bundles below deck and once wet with sea water, methane began to build up.

The first time someone came below at night with a lantern.... BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what had happened. Afterwards, the bundles of manure were stamped with the term "Ship High In Transit" which directed the crew to stow it in the upper decks so that any water that came into the hold would not reach this volatile cargo and produce the explosive gas.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " (Ship High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is still in use today. You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term

• 1195 posts
    August 5, 2008 3:24 PM BST
    Thanks (I think) for sharing that information. "She said hesitantly."
    Now I have to figure how can I use this knowledge.
    hugs
  • August 5, 2008 4:25 PM BST
    lol, made me laugh - total urban myth though

The word was actually in use for around 1000 years before the 16th century and is thought to have derived from the ancient norse word skîta, to defecate

I kinda prefer your version though and really wish it were true
    • 2068 posts
    August 5, 2008 10:13 PM BST
    There is a wee scottish word for S.H.I.T........keech!
    more useless info

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 871 posts
    August 5, 2008 11:16 PM BST
    oh thanks for correcting me anna, i thought the scottish word for that was McDonalds.
    • 89 posts
    August 6, 2008 6:56 PM BST
    Now now Penny don't insult s.h.i.t..
    • 2017 posts
    August 6, 2008 9:09 PM BST
    DId you know that 'pissed' is also a nautical term coming from 'Passing Inside Starboard Tack' - Pist!

That's why sailors and Marines on a night in the town could be heard to shout to each other (and anyone else for that matter),

'Oi! Are you pist or what?'

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    August 7, 2008 12:29 AM BST
    Well, can't confirm or deny your 'pissed' comment, Nikki, but it was certainly knocking about in the 13th century as a word for urinating.... but they had ships then too!

Much love

Rae xx
    • 734 posts
    August 10, 2008 8:49 PM BST
    Hi,

Thankyou, still chuckling about the beer. Which reminded me of when I used to live in Devon. There was - probably still is - a micro brewery / pub [The Railway Inn, I think] that brewed and sold its own popular Piston Beer [ as well as Rail Ale].

I know I'm easily amused...!

Much love

Rae xx