un petit poem

• 1652 posts
    November 1, 2008 1:25 AM GMT
    I love this. I read it at school and it took me ages to work it out. See what you make of it:

Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent
    Indolent qui ne sort cesse
    Indolent qui ne se mène
    Qu'importe un petit d'un petit
    Tout Gai de Reguennes

C'est bon, oui?!
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    November 1, 2008 2:04 AM GMT
    Someone's bound to know these, so if you do, give others a chance to understand and enjoy them for themselves. Here's another one:

Raseuse arrête, valet de Tsar bat loups
    Jouse gare et suite, un sot voyou.

Lovely aren't they?
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    November 1, 2008 9:47 PM GMT
    Anyone got these yet? Here's another for you:

Chacun Gille
    Houer ne taupe de hile
    Tôt-fait, j'appelle au boiteur
    Chaque fêle dans
    un broc, est-ce crosne?
    Un Gille qu'aime tant berline à fêtard.

Read them through a few times, but don't give it away if you work them out. I really thought someone might have heard them before, I think they're wonderful.
    xx
    • 1912 posts
    November 1, 2008 11:31 PM GMT
    Lucy! You said not to answer so as to give others a chance. But now that you are asking, they are all from XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX literally translated into french. They were originally passed as medieval french manuscripts.

The first one is XXXXXX XXXXXX, the third one is XXXX and XXXX. Your second example was just a footnote describing a Russian Imperial Court.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1652 posts
    November 1, 2008 11:57 PM GMT
    You mean, “literally translated into English” don’t you.
    The number of crosses correspond to the correct answers, so yeah, you’ve got it, though the second one isn’t really anything to do with the Russian Imperial Court (that was Marsha’s little red herring, girls!)
    Have you seen them before, Marsha, or did you figure them out, or Google them?
    It will really give you a big smile if you can work them out without looking it up, read them out loud if it helps, use them to practice your best French accent.
    Knowledge of the French language need be surprisingly minimal to get these.
    I smile every time I read them. Hope it gave you a smile too, Marsha.
    xx
    • 1912 posts
    November 2, 2008 12:15 AM GMT
    Maybe translation is not the best word. Phonetically speaking, maybe they should just read the darn things and figure them out.

Hugs,
    Marsha