Site membership

• 2017 posts
    March 17, 2009 2:54 PM GMT
    In light of the recent posts regarding what should be accessed by either Basic or Paying members, I would like to throw it open to responses from both types. No in-fighting here please ladies, just valid arguments as to what you think is fair. Obviously, the final decision rests with Katie who is keeping TW afloat but some feedback could prove very useful.

This isn't intened to start a war between Basic and Paying members so please respond appropriately.

Here's a few thoughts to think about.

Should Basic membership have a time limit for Chatroom use?
    Or perhaps not be able to use the Private Message facility in there?

Should Basic members be allowed to post pictures in the galleries?

Why shouldn't all members have access to a member search?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate there although personally, I would like to see a greater difference between what can be accessed by Basic and Paying members, otherwise, just what are we paying for?

Over to you.

Nikki

• 2127 posts
    March 17, 2009 3:50 PM GMT
    Can I just obliterate your first item, Nikki? We couldn't possibly impose a time limit in the chat room or prevent users from sending Private Messages because the amount of programming work involved in setting that up that would cost a small fortune.

Our picture galleries and database access have always been for Full Members only. If we made them available free to everyone then we would have no Full Members almost overnight and Trannyweb would then crash and burn.

I think this thread would be more useful if people gave us ideas about which of the services currently available to Basic members, would become an incentive to upgrade if they were for Full Members only. The chat room is off limits though and will always be available for everyone.

Remember, the object of the exercise is not to upset one group or another but simply to try and find a way through our current financial woes and ensure our future so please play nice.

Thanks and huggies,

Katie x
  • March 17, 2009 4:07 PM GMT
    Nikki it's a real can of worms that has already been opened by the tribune, some points made in the other thread are quite valid, the site needs to have funds to keep going but I find the attitude of some (full) members disturbing and even offensive in their attitude. Not every one can afford full membership, as a student with 16,000 pounds of debt so far, I simply cannot justify the expense, I'm sure there are many others in a similar or worse situation.
    So before I'm thrown out into the work house, perhaps you should all reflect upon what this site was set up for, To support all trangended people, admirers, so's etc, no mention was made when I joined, that this was to be restricted to those that could pay.

The Tribune should publish the articles in full, If the full members want it, then why not have a "Special" suppliment with further articles viewed only by them, (an index could be included in the full Trib. to entice non members to join) as quite frankly if I'm only going to get half an article I'm simply not going to bother reading any of it.

The forums should stay as they are, some for full members, some not, same for the chat rooms, I really don't care about the rest of the site as I never use it.

Any way thats my rant and my views

Huggles

Becca

• a a
    • 96 posts
    March 17, 2009 4:13 PM GMT
    I don`t really know the answer to this question,eccept to say that there should be a greater difference between basic members and full members.Or as katie has already pointed out,what is the point of becoming a full member if you can access everything as a basic member.Maybe we could only allow basic members to access the general forum.If they wanted access to all the other forums they would have to upgrade to full membership.I`ve got nothing against basic members,it`s just that if I`m forking out hard cash I would like to see that I am recieving a little something extra.
    • 2127 posts
    March 17, 2009 4:20 PM GMT
    Remember, the idea is not to upset people who can't afford to upgrade. Just to gently encourage those who can, with some extra bits they would not otherwise get. And remember, there were only two articles in this month's issue which were restricted.

Let me make this suggestion regarding the Tranny Trib. How about we offer the whole thing for free each month to everyone, but restrict the TT archive of previous issues to Full Members only? That way you can read it all each month and the valuable collection of useful articles in our back issues will become another incentive for those who can afford to upgrade.

We also have several new features planned for our Full Members, to make things even better. More on that soon.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2627 posts
    March 17, 2009 5:14 PM GMT
    Some my not like this but it's just my 2cents.
    Basic membership should get full access to the forums as they are now.
    The chat room & blogs should also be open for them.
    The Trib should be free to all in order to get adverts to as many as you can. If you limit who can see the ads you may have to cut the price.
    No I don't think our gallery should be open to basic members. We don't want some guys posting pics of thier thingies as a joke.

TW's heart & soul is communication with others like ourselfs. Lets not limit that in any way.
    • 2127 posts
    March 17, 2009 5:36 PM GMT
    What you are saying Karen, is that we should keep things exactly as they are right now. However, we already know that in order to survive, we will either have to make some changes or go under.

The only other way I can think of to get around this problem without making any changes would be to persuade Elton John to donate his weekly flower bill to us. The amount he spends on flowers in just one week could keep us going for about five years!

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2017 posts
    March 17, 2009 7:29 PM GMT
    Perhaps it shouldn't be a case of what should not be available to Basic membership, but rather, what extra can be offered to paying members?

Nikki
  • March 17, 2009 7:38 PM GMT
    for my own reasons, I am a basic member.

My view is that if you take anything away that people are used to they tend to be unhappy BUT if you add more features and add these to the subscribe only then people can have no cause for complaint. It takes money to add stuff, to make changes etc. so in order to benefit from it you should pay for it.

Essentially I use TW mainly for the forums, I'm a very, very occasional vistor to the chat rooms but that's about it. Forums tend to be free anyway on most sites - I do sometimes get frustrated when discussions end up in the members only section, but that's by the by.

My view is the difference between basic and full member options should be made up by adding to the top rather than removing from the bottom (so to speak) driving away basic members by depriving them of existing free features would end up hurting the site anyway, They may not pay anything to the upkeep of the site, but they are an essential part of the community and it's the community aspect that keeps people coming back and encouraging them to become full members

no definite suggestions here, but just a note of caution.
  • March 17, 2009 7:46 PM GMT
    weird as it sounds - is there any mileage in having some kind of optional paypal donate option?

You would be surprised how many people don't want to make the long term commitment to funds but wouldn't mind making occasional one off payments.

Whether this leads to some kind of intermediate level membership or no difference at all, it might with the right encouragement just add a little extra to keeps things rolling along.

I use the site and would like for it to keep running and wouldn't mind making an informal donation every now and then

sorry It's a little off topic

PS if this is already available then make it more obvious
    • 2127 posts
    March 17, 2009 9:47 PM GMT
    Thanks for your input girls. All your comments are being taken onboard.

Anne, we do have a little used page for people who want to donate a little extra to the cause, here...

http://gendersociety.com/[...]e.shtml

Your donations will be very welcome during this difficult time.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2463 posts
    March 17, 2009 9:55 PM GMT
    I think many of you are missing the point. We are not being critical of those who are unable to be a paying member. My own GF Josie is unable to afford a full membership. We are merely saying there are too many out there who want something for nothing, have no intentions of contributing, and then demand every courtesy.

More than once some have criticized how things were run around here, but refused to help out in any way. We have all seen this before - those who complain the most do the least. There are many ways to contribute. Maybe you can't pay right now, but why not volunteer to help us with something? You'd be surprised how helping us solve a problem or two could help free up Katie to concentrate on other administrative duties, such as soliciting ads for revenue.

I, like so many of you, am pinching every penny I can, so I understand those of you who are struggling. Having been under- and unemployed, I know what it is like.

So you must understand what it is we are trying to say, and do. But to say that a paying member shouldn't be entitled to more privileges is plain nonsense.

Okay, we'll work on this. Keep the suggestions coming.
    • 2627 posts
    March 17, 2009 10:43 PM GMT
    No Katie I don't have answers.
    Having been to other sites with forums, a lot of them limit basic members to Intro & General forums. keeping all others for full members.

I think before starting your new site you might want to pool full members for more opinions.
    Or pick a select few of the more level headed ones to see how you can intice more paying members.
    • 2068 posts
    March 17, 2009 11:51 PM GMT
    Thats a real tough one, nikki......but a valid question all the same. Me personally? well to be honest I think that some things should stay as they are but obviously some things DO need to change.

I would leave the general forum open to all, because we don't want to alienate the very people we are trying to support.

The Tribune, maybe make the current issue available to basic members, but keep the archive for paying members

Trannypix should be paying members only too.....we dont want any old person looking at them.

I Have tried to look at this as objectively as possible, because although i'm a full paying member now i remember back when i too was an ordinary basic member. After all the pleasure i got out of TW, i thought it only fair that i try & upgrade ( not possible for all i know), to try & put something back and to support the site as best i could & now i'm lucky enough to be able to do that. Yes, some things should be for paying members only but there are some that should remain free to view.

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 40 posts
    March 18, 2009 2:24 AM GMT
    Just my thought on this -

I agree with Rebecca, about the Tribune - that should be open to the total article, reading half or so is totally useless as well as annoying, the rest of things can stay the same, and like Katie mentioned, maybe some extra features of the Tribune for full members only, and maybe other extras for full members, but to change the base of why Trannyweb is here - to support transgendered people, it should stay that way, affordable to those that can can afford it, and free to those that can't afford it, they as well need support, maybe more so -

Like Rebecca I'm a student and money is beyond tight to say the least (I don't even want to total my debt), I used to be a full member and may well do so again in the future, but for now, it is not in the realm of where I can afford it. School is the most important thing on my plate these days, as it is my future to earn a living free from harassment of being a T-girl. Something the "real world" doesn't offer- yet.

Anyway I just wanted to add a thought or two

Hugs,

Bridgette

"It's never to late to be who you really are"

• March 18, 2009 5:18 PM GMT
    Hi All,
    When I first joined, it was because I was searching to understand my feelings, who I was and help with all the confusion inside. I remember how great it was to not only read about others experiences, but to also be able to share the practical side of what my new TW sisters were going through. The advise , consoling and help was something I will not forget. As a basic member, this motivated me to become a paying member. The other capabilities were secondary to my decision to upgrade my membership. Lets keep in mind the sister who just discovered TW and their needs as we discuss the basic / paid membership benefits.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 1912 posts
    March 18, 2009 9:37 PM GMT
    The last thing I want anyone to think is I would want to run off anyone who could not afford to pay, but I find it incredible how many people just don't understand economics or running a business. If we don't pay, who do you think does? This is not some government subsidized website funded to be available to all TG's of the world. Katie is paying the bills, and when members don't pay, the bill still shows up and still somebody has to be pay. So basically what it comes down to is some are telling Katie to pay their fair share.

Katie has been kind enough to put it in the most gracious of terms but many still are not catching on that if she doesn't get some money coming in, there won't be a Trannyweb for anyone. What is so hard about that to understand. Katie might not want to upset others pointing out the obvious but I am more than happy to. Geez, some of the comments make it sound like somebody owes these people full access to Trannyweb, it sure isn't Katie and she shouldn't be stuck with YOUR bill.

As a business owner I know there are different ways to price a service. You can price higher, expecting a smaller yet more involved clientele, or you could price lower for the masses. That is an area Katie may consider. Is $20 each for 10000 members better than $100 each for 2000 paying members?

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • March 19, 2009 8:52 AM GMT
    I'm one of the basic members of Trannyweb. At the same time I'd consider myself to be an occasional visitor rather than a full time member. I've had a look at the menu bar drop downs and personally I consider that the services offered to full members are not what I want. I'd like to add here that I don't earn a wage so would find it difficult to subscribe anyway.

Alina
    • 2127 posts
    March 19, 2009 11:53 AM GMT
    That's a surprising response Alina.

> “...personally I consider that the services offered to full members are not what I want...”

I wonder if you would be kind enough to give me an idea of what kind of items you would like to see in that list? Please drop me a line.

And thanks for your wise words Marsha. You are quite right of course, except that we have never had 2000 paying members. I would be really happy if we could get up to about 400. That is very sad when you consider that would still leave nearly 26000 Basic free members.

Anyway, I think we should end this thread here if you don't mind. The intention was never to upset anyone and the feedback you have all given me has been most useful. There will have to be some changes to Basic membership but I hope they will not be too great.

We will instead concentrate on adding new features and benefits to our Full Member's package. If anyone would like to volunteer to help with that, please send me a message.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x