The Big Switch

• 2573 posts
    April 14, 2009 5:00 PM BST
    I search for social cues a lot. It's a good way to see what is currently accepted in our society and to what extent. For example, Pirate theme has been big for a few years. After this last week, I suspect it will disappear as the fantasy view of pirates falls to three rapid gun shots, off Africa, that will make piracy no longer "PC". We have seen signs like "GAY EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY" and "HERE!" on American television that have shown the level to which Society is willing to accept that Gays and Lesbians have a right to live as who they are.

Tonight I found one of those social clues. It's related to a topic that has been discussed a number of times before on TW. Transgenderism in on-line gaming. WORLD OF WARCRAFT, probably the most extensively played MMORG in the world, has made an announcement and not pulled any punches.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pd[...]tch.pdf

They are introducing a new character transformation application for their players. It is described with terms like "Trantastic" and

"COST
    WoW Sex Change:
    $15
    REA L LIFE
    Sex Change:
    $100,000

TI ME
    WoW Sex Change:
    About 10 minutes to
    choose new features
    REA L LIFE
    Sex Change:
    18 months of hormone
    therapy, followed by 20+
    days in hospital for surgery
    and recovery

Blizzard’s coming to the rescue with
    WoW’s new character re-customization tool,
    which allows you to alter any aspect of
    your character’s body—including your sex.
    Whether you’re looking for a simple sprayon
    tan or a full-scale gender reassignment,
    Blizzard is happy to help

Perhaps the best news for anyone seeking
    “a whole new you” under their robes:
    acceptance for digital gender bending
    is relatively high. Fully two-thirds of the players we spoke with felt comfortable
    telling their friends about their character’s
    sex change, and only 20 percent had been
    teased because of their new gender
    ." [underlining mine]

Now before you poo-poo the significance of this, remember I come from a time when, if they had had websites, this website would have been removed from the Internet (If there had been an internet) and people went to prison for holding up a condom while speaking publicly. What is demonstrated is an ACTIVE acceptance of gender-bending by males and females. I say this is a SIGNIFICANT change in public acceptance. It shows a trend toward personal attitudes that will accept RL transgenderism much more readily. True, we are dealing with a male population where wearing jewelry is now "in". Recently male high heels hit the fashion catwalks. The question is if acceptance of males wearing the accoutrements of females will translate to acceptance of "males" who wish to behave and even live as females. Still, it is hardly a step backwards. The TG "historical moment of truth" may be just around the corner. For some this will be a relief, for some it will be too soon and for some it will be anticlimactic. Is there "a signpost up ahead reading..." The Transgendered Zone?

• 746 posts
    April 14, 2009 7:07 PM BST
    Wendy....we ARE the "New Hottness"! (s)

Traci