Are we British?

• 2463 posts
    May 4, 2009 11:30 PM BST
    As I have mentioned in the chatroom, my museum is the first ever to host the new Harry Potter exhibit. Everyone who works the exhibit is required to speak in British accents (like which one?). Thankfully, I did not audition to be part of this exhibit.

BUT - one the daily live chemistry shows was recently altered to work in this exhibit. What was called "Bangs, Flashes and Fire" is now "Potions, Poofs and Pows."

Uh oh. I tried to point out to management what "poof" meant in British slang. I mean, if we're doing this in British style, I think they want to be more careful.
    • 2573 posts
    May 5, 2009 4:43 AM BST
    Mere,

That does sound a bit queer, doesn't it?
    • 83 posts
    May 5, 2009 6:28 AM BST
    Oh that is sooooo funny!!!!
    • 2017 posts
    May 5, 2009 8:06 PM BST
    That's almost as bad as Dick Van Dyke's attempt at a British accent..................................almost.

Nikki
    • 2463 posts
    May 6, 2009 1:52 AM BST
    I have no problems with doing the accent, for many reasons, but I tried to warn them about certain terms. Upper management thinks they know everything anyhow, so any problems will be directed to them.
    • 871 posts
    May 6, 2009 12:09 PM BST
    mere, cor blimey guvness, the new name is brill!

but with such a name i wud suggest such an accent as larry grayson "shut that door" or julian clary "cheeky boy!"

[correction at your wish by your kindly Forum moderators]
    • 871 posts
    May 6, 2009 11:12 PM BST
    i used "guvna" to emphasise the accent but i realise it should really say governess! but it wont let me change it now! sorry mere!
    • 2463 posts
    May 7, 2009 3:53 AM BST
    Oh, i think I can deal with this psychological terror!