France removes mental illness stigma

• May 16, 2009 9:09 PM BST
    Hi everyone
    France has declared that Transsexualism is not a mental illness!

Now how will the gang at the DSM committee deal with that shock to their ssystem of classifying us as pervs/freaks etc
    • 734 posts
    May 16, 2009 11:44 PM BST
    Hey Rose,

Thankyou for that.

Initially, to be pedantic, in the UK transexualism is not seen as a mental illness. But you have to be 'proved' sane to go ahead. Ipso facto, to the great unwashed, it must be a mental problem as you're forced through the mental health route.

Your post does'nt give me much info - could you expand on it? - I deplore being made to jump through mental health hoops when I don't actually need to. At least, not for being transexual...

And, of course, I have to say ... the French? ... the French? ... aargh! ... Remember Agincourt...!!!!

:)

Much love

Rae xx
    • 530 posts
    May 16, 2009 11:49 PM BST
    Please forgive cynicism and wry smile.

UK version:-

Step 1) Transexualism declared not a mental illness.
    Step 2) Transexualism declared not to be an illness.
    Step 3) Transeuxalism declared no longer qualifies for treatment on National Health Service.

Dammit, they've got us by the balls again!

Will remove tongue from cheek later!

Sue.
  • May 17, 2009 10:24 AM BST
    Only men have balls, Sue?

Actually info is on Gender_ID_Coalition website...decision came on Saturday....and don't forget the EU said sex changes have to be done...and the Katia v Imsalud and the Schlumpf v Switzerland verdicts both affirmed that Harry Benjamin Syndrome is a congenital biological condition that must be treated as a normal health service treatment.

Of course the NHS may choose to fight this but I doubt it.

And of course there will still have to be some rigorous selection process -at gender clinmics or by qualified psychiatrist - or should that be psychologists? - to make sure that only HBS people get sex changes...the many blokes-in-frocks who loiter under the TG umbrellas will still be turned away from the scalpel. Obviously the NHS will have to have some means of ensuring that sex change is the correct treatment for the HBS and not some aid to super sex as seems to be the case with the unfem TGs who have gotten vaginas on the NHS or privately..so I doubt if the average annual total of NHS sex changes will zoom dramatically from its present approx 100 per year.

Forward the GID notice to everyone you can think of -especailly local and national newspapers who have an anti-HBS stance and the editors of mother and baby magazines.

Rose
    • 773 posts
    May 17, 2009 5:23 PM BST
    This announcement came out as we were preparing the language of our resolution to be presented to the APA today at their convention in SF. Big DSM protest going on there, and our Denise Leclair is right in the thick of it. Very timely, indeed. See my post concerning the IFGE DSM resolution.
    • 2573 posts
    May 17, 2009 6:14 PM BST
    It is definitely the time to switch to treating Gender Identity issues as a neurobiological diagnosis with psychological treatment moving to a supporting role. This is often done in other biological conditions, such as Cancer or trauma, to aid the patient in dealing with the emotional/coping issues surrounding their condition. This is the proper task for Gender Therapists. Not all TG's will be happier post-hormones or post-SRS/GRS. We know that the need for SRS is an absolute for some of our Brothers and Sisters. We also know that it is secondary to other issues, such as Family, for other TGs. Finding your Self and accepting and living with it is the primary issue. Secondary is learning to deal with the implications of that and preparing for the changes, or lack of expected changes, post-SRS. Recent scientific discoveries put the heavy weight on the neurobiological, rather than "choice" side of the scale for transgenderism. There is also a need for family/S.O. counselors to be prepared for helping the client's family, and friends, deal with their issues. It's possible that a wife, for example, may have lesbian-panic issues that are HER need to be dealt with beyond just accepting her spouse's transgenderism. Our society has been programming us since childhood. It is starting to change that, but damage has been done already. Just because non-TGs can not imagine why a male would want to put on women's clothing, except as a "fetish", doesn't make it primarily a psychological, rather than biological, issue...except, perhaps, for those without adequate imagination. Only the individual's problems dealing with their transgenderism (shame, fear) should be issues in psychological treatment.

While I do not think that "curing" transgenderism is a valid or desirable goal, accepting that it is neurobiological is the first step to examining what influences in our environment may be, perhaps, increasing the occurrence of this "congenital defect" beyond it's natural numbers and allow it's prevention in the future, along with intersexed and similar gender anomalies of body and brain. If fish in the Potomac River are undergoing gender changes, there may well be environmental contamination factors contributing to human gender anomalies. These certainly need to be investigated for the survival of the species.
    • 773 posts
    May 17, 2009 6:26 PM BST
    Certainly there are theories concerning the use of such drugs as DES among pregnant women to prevent miscarriage that some studies have shown contribute to in vitro hormone imbalance, possibly causing GID. Other studies have identified variations in the density of androgen receptors in the hypothalamus region of the brain as a contributing factor, and results of a recent study, announced in January of this year, suggest that this might actually be caused by genetic polymorphisms affecting fetal processing of androgens.

In any case, these studies suggesting physiological causes of transgenderism deserve to be examined by the APA, and the psychological stigma should be removed by correctly identifying this condition as a physiological, not a psychological phenomenon. After all, the AMA announced their position on this almost two years ago, but the APA continues to refuse to change their view.

I will be sure to report on today's demonstration in SF, and reaction to the IFGE resolution as soon as I hear.