HITTING THE BIGOTS WHER IT HURTS

• June 5, 2009 9:04 AM BST
    http://uk.mc252.mail.yaho[...]41650.

try this silly long link to a posting that shows that advertsisers listen when concerend people call in to complain about chat show s hosts ranting on about a (very girly) little 'boy' being alloowed to transition at school. The idiots hosts went completely over the top. Now if only UK had same power!
    • 2573 posts
    June 5, 2009 3:42 PM BST
    Rose, the link is taking me just to my Yahoo email account. Was it in your Yahoo email account when you copied it?
    • 773 posts
    June 6, 2009 12:51 AM BST
    The radio show Rose refers to was the Rob, Arnie and Dawn Show on KRXQ Sacramento, which aired last week, during which co-host Arnie stated that if his son ever wore high heels, he'd use a shoe to "beat the transgender out of him." The remark was followed by about another half hour of hate speech against trans people. The hosts aired a token apology during which they characterized this advocacy of violence against children as a joke.

Since that time, in response to a wave of complaints spearheaded by GLAAD and Kim Pearson of Trans Youth Family Allies, Snapple, Sonic, Chipoltle and Bank of America have pulled their advertising from the station. Complaints are pouring into the FCC, and it has been discovered that the Chair of Entercom, the media conglomerate that owns the station serves on the advisory board of the University of Pennsylvania Field Center for Children's Policy, a division of the School of Social Policy.

Let me know if you are interested in further information, or ways in which you can make yourself heard to the station management, the FCC, U of PA or additional advertisers. We are also encouraged to thank those advertisers who have pulled out with thank you letters and, of course, our patronage.
    • 773 posts
    June 6, 2009 1:12 AM BST
    Word has just come in that Verizon, Wells Fargo and Carl's Jr. have joined the advertisers pulling their accounts from KRXQ. Very gratifying to see that our efforts can actually get results sometimes.
    • 871 posts
    June 7, 2009 12:10 AM BST
    i found this...

http://www.huffingtonpost[...]37.html

i havnt finished reading it yet so i dont know its content.
    ---
    i just finished reading it and it is a sickening tale.
    • 773 posts
    June 7, 2009 2:23 PM BST
    The campaign against KRXQ continues. They have removed the recording of that show from their archives, and have taken down any contact links form their website, so it's apparent that we are having some effect. Letters are pouring in via snail mail, though, and the pressure on remaining sponsors is still on.

Letters of complaint are also being sent to the FCC that might possibly result in a fine against the station.

Eventually, as more sponsors jump ship, the general manager will be forced to make a decision as to whether keeping these personalities on the air is worth the loss of revenue.
    • 773 posts
    June 7, 2009 10:06 PM BST
    A SMALL VICTORY FOR TRANS AMERICANS?

I remain skeptical, and will wait to hear what they have to say, but today at 11:50 AM PDT, the following was released. See the original post at:

http://www.robarnieanddawn.com/

Here is what it says, if you don't feel like navigating there:

"TO OUR LOYAL ROB, ARNIE AND DAWN FOLLOWERS,

WE HAVE FAILED YOU. AS A SHOW, AS PEOPLE, AS BROADCASTERS, WE HAVE SIMPLY FAILED ON ALMOST EVERY LEVEL.

WE PRESENTED OUR OPINIONS ON A VERY SENSITIVE SUBJECT IN A HATEFUL, CHILDISH AND CRUDE FASHION; AND THEN, GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO RETRACT THOSE REMARKS, WE DEFENDED THEM.

SINCE THEN, YOU, OUR LOYAL LISTENERS, HAVE MADE IT CLEAR TO US THAT WE WENT TOO FAR. THE RESPONSE HAS BEEN OVERWHELMING. NONE OF YOU SAID THAT WE COULDN’T HAVE OPINIONS, YET SO MANY OF YOU SAID THAT THE WAY WE GAVE THEM CROSSED THE LINE. FURTHER, YOU SAID THAT OUR ATTEMPT TO MASK OUR COMMENTS AS “JOKES THAT WOULD BE UNDERSTOOD BY OUR AUDIENCE,” WAS UNACCEPTABLE. I WOULD SAY NOW THAT IT WAS WORSE THAN THAT, IT WAS COWARDLY. YOU HAVE MADE THAT CLEAR.

WE HAVE REACHED OUT TO VARIOUS GROUPS AND ASKED FOR A CHANCE TO MAKE THIS RIGHT; TO RESPOND, WITH THEIR PARTICIPATION, TO THE EDUCATION THAT OUR AUDIENCE HAS PROVIDED US. THAT OPPORTUNITY HAS BEEN GRACIOUSLY GRANTED THIS THURSDAY MORNING, JUNE 11TH. AT 7:30 A.M.

THE WORD APOLOGY APPEARS NO WHERE IN THIS LETTER FOR A REASON. WE ALREADY HID FROM DOING THE RIGHT THING ONCE AND WE’RE NOT GOING TO MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN. APOLOGIZING IN A WRITTEN, POSTED STATEMENT IS A FORM OF COWARDICE. WE WILL SAY WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID THIS THURSDAY.

ON A FINAL, PERSONAL NOTE, AS THE LEADER AND OWNER OF THE SHOW, I HAVE MADE THE DECISION THAT WE NEED TO REFRAIN FROM BROADCASTING NEW EPISODES UNTIL WE CAN ADDRESS THIS ON THURSDAY . WE WILL RETURN TO THE AIR AT 7:30 A.M. JUNE 11TH.

ROB WILLIAMS
    ROB, ARNIE AND DAWN"
    • 871 posts
    June 8, 2009 3:31 PM BST
    Hopefully it will be a resignation. I cant see how they could expect to continue to work in the public media with this level of gross lack of judgement and loss of credibility.

• 773 posts
    June 8, 2009 10:43 PM BST
    I am waiting to see. Could be another insincere, lame attempt at self preservation. One can only hope that the station GM just tears up their contract and sends them packin'.
    • 2068 posts
    June 8, 2009 11:10 PM BST

Robyn, if nothing else its a start. Lets hope they do the decent thing and say SORRY.

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 773 posts
    June 9, 2009 3:51 AM BST
    Kim Pearson of Trans Youth Family Allies and Autum Sandeen of GLAAD will be appearing on the Thursday show, so we'll see what will happen.
    • 773 posts
    June 11, 2009 10:34 PM BST
    I have listened to about an hour of today's show. It is archived at:

http://www.krxq.net/pages[...]809.php

Rob and Arnie seem to have been enlightened to some degree. Kim and Autumn did a great job of reaching out. If so many as one listener is affected positively, it will have been worthwhile.