Another chance to be on a TV on TV

• August 29, 2009 9:11 AM BST
    I just can't believe that any two British comedians when confronted with a transvestite could come out with anything but the nastiest transcrap...maybe they have Lili Savage in mind as she has the wit and vocabulary to deal with such a situation...
    on another level it shows how desperate they television people are for dumbdown shows...presumably the other guests the comedians will argue around be Jewish, Negro, Quadraplegic, Pakistani, Burkha'd Muslim etc, etc...
    this is one to pass over...
    • 181 posts
    August 29, 2009 5:07 PM BST
    Gloria , here in the states we already have Jerry Springer trashing Trans people as well as they trashing esch other and them selves on the Jerry Springer Television show taped in " Glorious New Yak city " Ellen S.
    • 2127 posts
    August 28, 2009 7:37 PM BST
    Here's something I know you'll be lining up for. Lisa Kirk, a researcher on the Dave TV comedy quiz Argumental, has emailed me looking for a transvestite to appear on the show. I said I'd pass her request on to our members. Her contact details are below if you are interested in taking part. Here's what she said...

Hi there,

My name is Lisa Kirk and I work for Tiger Aspect, a television production company based in Soho. We are currently looking for a transvestite to appear on Argumental, a comedy debate show on Dave and I wondered if you might be able to help me out in my search to find somebody.

We are looking for someone to take part in one of our rounds, in which a live guest comes on to help illustrate a debate. With the guest standing in the middle of the set, two of our comedians take it in turns to argue two sides of an argument centred around the guest. The idea is to make the comedians feel uncomfortable, having to debate the subject with the guest standing next to them. We are therefore looking for someone that is up for standing in the crossfire of some very funny, but occasionally pretty harsh comedians.

It would be fantastic if we were able to either advertise on your site, or if you were able to recommend any users who you feel might be interested in appearing on TV.

I’d love to have a quick chat with you if you feel you might be able to help out and would really appreciate it if you could give me a call on the number below, or let me know when might be good to contact you. Alternatively, please do give my details to anyone you feel might be interested in being involved.

Many thanks for your time and I hope to speak with you soon,

Best wishes,

Lisa

Lisa Kirk | Researcher| Argumental
    Tiger Aspect Productions
    an IMG company
    5 Soho Square, London W1D 3QA
    Direct Line: 020 7529 9465
    Switchboard: 020 7434 6700 Fax: 020 7529 9599
    • 746 posts
    August 28, 2009 8:43 PM BST
    Hey Katie...I'm just looney enough to be able hang with these people, but I don't suppose they'd be interested in flying me out and picking up expenses, do you? (smile)

That said, in my stead, I'd like to suggest Penny or Crissie...they are nuttier than I am!

Traci xxxxx
  • August 29, 2009 9:50 AM BST
    Sounds to me like they are just looking for somebody to ridicule and they think trannies are easy targets. Why do they think anyone would want to go on a show like that just to be made a fool of on national TV? If any of our members were to appear, would they be furthering our cause in any way or setting it back?

Glo
  • a a
    • 96 posts
    August 29, 2009 5:36 PM BST
    When will we ever learn!! If we keep allowing society to ridicule and degrade the trans community,we will never be accepted by people,we will always be something to be made fun of. Katie you should on our behalf, have told her to stick her program where the sun don`t shine!! xx
  • August 29, 2009 5:37 PM BST
    Why volounteer me, lol. Last time i was in a similar situation was in a pub, two oiks from the local sink estate, thought it would be funny to try and extract a giggle about me from some onlookers. One is now living life in a padded cell the other has incontinence problems and suffers regular nightmares.

I should imagine this is a pre-recorded programme and will be edited and scripted to raise a laugh in the main at the expense of the participant. Probably belitteling the very idea of transexualism. somthing that was sposed to raise a laugh in the pub, was, ''did your mother make you a tranny, if I give her the wool will she knit me one as well'' Not exactly original. I could and would give as good as I got, but am sure that the editing and out-takes will end up making any participant seem weird, queer, over the top and stupid. The term (geezer bird) springs to mind.

ButI am tempted to give them a ring just to accertain what the format would actually be and how much it pays, lol.

Watch this space.

xxXCristineXxx
    • 448 posts
    August 29, 2009 9:44 PM BST
    I am also tempted to do it, again for the money. Particularly, as they seem to be looking for a transvestite as opposed to a transsexual though they may not be fussed about that. I don't believe that I would be belittling the community by doing so. Should we be afraid of being laughed at? Should we assume that people are laughing at us and not with us. Or should we be like the Muslim community who seem incapable of being able to send themselves up and we know where that leads. There is every possibility that it is a crap programme that nobody is going to watch in any case. I beleive that I could handle myself in such a situation and I don't look like a geezer in a dress. Though I acknowledge that it could edited to make me look a fool. I may contact them, watch this space.
  • August 30, 2009 9:13 AM BST
    being laughed at surely is just reinforcing the stereotyping? But say you'll go on the prog after the Negro, Muslim, Cripple, Obesely Fat person, Catholic Priest, Jew with sidelocks with a big gefilter fish, Neo-Nazi Skinhead...etc...and after that lot I'd be inclined to think you get the biggest laughs...

if they want to do a prgram with a trans theme then why not a fly on wall tv night out or a Ts surgery? Muche better ratings and overseas sales potential.
    • 2127 posts
    August 30, 2009 12:34 PM BST
    I may be wrong but I get the impression that you are not supposed to contribute anything, perhaps a bit like the looalikes that appear on Buzz*ocks. You would just stand there while one "comedian" give the case in favor of transvestites and the other give a case against.

There has also been no mention of any kind of payment for this. So you may end up being ridiculed on national TV for nothing. Having said that, it may not actually be you who is ridiculed personally but trannies in general, which you will be representing.

Here's my reply to Lisa...

Hi Lisa,

I'll be happy to put a notice on our site but I have a feeling that you won't get many takers. Transgender people spend much of their lives being ridiculed and many are fearful of appearing on TV for obvious reasons (think Jerry Springer).

Let's give it a try though.

Best regards,

Katie Glover

gendersociety.com
    2008 Sparkle TG Awards Winner
    Trannyweb - Best TG Contact/Forums Site

To which she replied...

Hi Katie,

That’s totally understandable and we obviously wouldn’t want to make anyone feel uncomfortable in any way.

To give you a bit more info, in this particular episode our comedians will be debating both sides of the topic “Transvestites make convincing women”. We’d love to have someone on who will see the funny side of both arguments and who is not easily offended, as the comedians may well come out with a few harsh comments in order to win their argument.

Previous topics that have been debated in such rounds include “Tattoos are rubbish” (next to a heavily tattooed muscleman) and “Old people deserve our respect” (next to an old lady).

As long as you are happy to, it would be great to feature the following notice on your site:

"TV company Tiger Aspect are looking for a transvestite to appear on comedy show Argumental. In a non-speaking role, we are looking for someone to take part in our ‘live guests’ round in which our funny but sometimes harsh comedians debate two sides of an argument centred around a guest. For more information please contact Lisa on 020 7529 9465 or [email protected]."

I will of course give anyone who is interested as much detail as possible to make sure they are fully aware of the format and the argument. We would always meet anyone prior to them being on the show.

If you need any further info, please do let me know,

Many thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Lisa

So you see, you'll have to be not easily offended and happy to be the subject of what sounds like a heated debate by two "funny but sometimes harsh" comedians.

If you really want to appear on TV without fear of ridicule and you want to help give the TG community a positive image while also being in with a chance of winning a lot of money, why not join the TW Eggheads team. Just drop me a line.

Katie
    • 1 posts
    September 13, 2009 12:00 PM BST
    I would appear, yes you'd get one side taking the p**s out of you, but sometimes I think people in the UK respect people who don't take themselves too seriously!
    I like the program, and I think you just have to laugh.
    • 2017 posts
    September 13, 2009 1:51 PM BST
    As long as you know what you are getting into, why not? If someone wants to take part, who are we to try to convince them not to, just because of the fallout it might have? We have no right to ask someone not to appear in case it makes us look bad. That sounds too much like forget about your individual rights, it's the group that matters.

Personally, it's not my kind of show that I would watch, let alone take part in, but I wouldn't belittle anyone who did.

Besides, as Katie said, if you want a 'serious' show, sign up for the Eggheads.

Nikki