Unable to view post

• 1017 posts
    August 31, 2009 2:22 AM BST
    I find i'm unable to access the following thread::
    Lables Again
    Karen Brad
    Sun, Aug 30th 2009 - 11:29PM
    I get an window telling me I'm not authorized to view this thread and I should contact the administrator to resolve the problem. How am I supposed to know who is the administrator if I can't access the thread ? Are there special threads that full members are not allowed to access?
    When I attempted to post a message to the administrator's forum I got a window :
    The Subject in your post is either invalid or empty, please verify it.
    When I try to report it to Problems, I get the same message as above.
    I'm getting very frustrated.....
    Melody
    • 1912 posts
    August 31, 2009 2:51 AM BST
    Melody, the reason for that is some of the forums are for members only or moderators only. What happens is the topic gets listed in the recent threads listing but only those with access can view them. The thread you mentioned happens to be in the moderators forum so it can only be viewed by moderators. Hope that explains it for you.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1017 posts
    August 31, 2009 3:06 AM BST
    Marsha Anne,
    Thanks for the explaination. Maybe these posts could be flagged in some way so that those who are not authorized to view then know that they are not allowed. I always look with anticipation to Karen's ( and your) posts.
    Best,
    Melody
    • 1912 posts
    August 31, 2009 3:28 AM BST
    Melody, I know suggestions like yours have been brought up before and because of technical issues moderator forum posts can't really be hidden from the recent list. I wish there was more to tell you, most moderator forum posts are of little interest to the general population of TW, typically clearing up issues that pop up from time to time.

I appreciate the kind words about my posts and I'm sure Karen does as well.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    August 31, 2009 10:30 AM BST
    I will talk to Eric the programmer about making moderator posts only visible in the listings to moderators. That should prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

It may not happen overnight though, because we'll probably have to save up to get it done. Eric charges $90 per hour and every little job takes at least an hour.

Times are very hard at TW right now so don't expect a quick fix. This job is now on the list of things to do though.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 1017 posts
    August 31, 2009 7:40 PM BST
    Hi Katie,

Maybe a simpler (and less expensive) fix would be to just begin the thread name with "Moderator Only Post." Even in my blonder moments, I think if I saw a thread name beginning with this and I got the "not authorized" message I'd figure out what was happening.
    Just a suggestion.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2127 posts
    August 31, 2009 8:28 PM BST
    That's a good idea for us to be going on with for now. I'd prefer to get the job done properly eventually if and when we can afford it but for now let's prefix moderatpr posts with "Moderators Only". I'll pass that on to Nikki Hollm, our forums guru.

Thanks and hugs,

Katie x