Not Depressed

• 1017 posts
    November 3, 2009 4:54 PM GMT
    Hi Girls,

This seems to be the day for asking questions, so here's mine:

Is there anyone out there who has NOT suffered deep depression or contemplated/tried suicide?

I've been sad, had the blues, felt alienated, been rejected, and been very down, but I'm pretty sure I've never been anywhere close to clinical depression.

The closest I've come to suicide in my life was once when I thought, "Wouldn't they be sorry if I was gone?" I gave it a quick think and came to the conclusion that "they" wouldn't give a damn one way or the other.

Reading many posts and blogs, (both recent and back to the archived ones) there seems a very large percentage of girls who do have these serious problems, not suprising given the societal and internal pressures of being TG.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2358 posts
    November 3, 2009 5:36 PM GMT
    Melody, hiya.

Yes there was a thread dealing with suicide. recently, perhaps you caught up with it, should add your thoughts and comments to that as well

Cristine xXx
    • 1652 posts
    November 3, 2009 10:40 PM GMT
    "Is there anyone out there who has NOT suffered deep depression or contemplated/tried suicide...?"

Yes there is, helloooo!!
    I was not doing myself any favours in my former life though, having little respect for my body and its internal organs. I certainly wasn't content, but I always tried to make the best of things, plod along, or just blot things out by getting sloshed . Never depressed though.
    Needless to say, I'm much happier now.
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    November 4, 2009 1:50 AM GMT
    Hi Lucy,

First, thanks for answering my question. And I'm very glad you are happier now.

My question would be do you think you weren't depressed because you were "sloshed" or because it wasn't part of your basic personality.

Nothing judgmental - I spent the latter 1960's and 1970's stoned on pot, hash, LSD, mescaline, STP and whatever was going around at the time. I just sort of burned out on drugs by the '80's. (I count my blessings that I was over the drug thing by the time cocaine and it's evil child crack were available.)

I still drink a bit more wine that I should, but I don't use it as a crutch.

Best,
    Melody

• 1652 posts
    November 4, 2009 10:42 AM GMT
    Melody, I think it’s down to my basic personality.
    xx
    • 2017 posts
    November 4, 2009 2:47 PM GMT
    I've never felt depressed or suicidal, just hugely frustrated from time to time. Life is what you make of it after all, it isn't all roses but that doesn't mean you should run and hide just because things are difficult. I've had my share of difficult times but 'that which does not kill us makes us stronger'. I prefer to think that the glass is half full. We're only here once and it's for such a short time, you have to make the most out of life. I also believe that a positive outlook on life can make a remarkable difference to how your life proceeds.

But hey, that's just me.

Nikki
    • 1017 posts
    November 4, 2009 4:28 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy,

That was the right answer! That makes at least three of us (including Nikki.)

Hi Nikki,

Funny, I tend to lean towards the glass half empty side. Seems to help me cope when life dumps on me - I was already sort of expecting the worst anyway.

Best to both,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    November 6, 2009 3:43 PM GMT
    Suicidal thinking is often about cognitive dissonance and wanting fear, stress, anxiety or emotional/physical pain to stop. It is not about wanting to be dead. It is due to a lack of perceived (or real), viable options due to conscious or unconscious value systems. There are always options.
    • 1017 posts
    November 6, 2009 6:26 PM GMT
    Hi Wendy,

I agree totally with what you say. My one, maybe 15 minute, episode was certainly what you describe.

But I've also had several friends (straight, gay, and TG) that have made serious attempts to do away with themselves. Two actually managed to kill themselves and one was left with permanent injuries that left her not the same person she was before.

My reason for asking was to try and gain some insight into those of us who don't see suicide as an option and those who seriously consider it or actually try to accomplish it.

Of course, in all things human there is a huge range of possible reasons for any feeling or action.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2358 posts
    November 6, 2009 10:28 PM GMT
    Melody,

You might be interested in the forum Tranny psyc and ''Deep depression & suicide'' Some quite enlightening postngs there

Cristine
    • 1017 posts
    November 6, 2009 10:36 PM GMT
    Hi Cristine,

I'll check it out.

Best,
    Melody