Speech to Text in Chatrooms?

• 1017 posts
    December 2, 2009 6:57 PM GMT
    Hi Girls,

Has anyone used a speech to text program, like Dragon, to participate in the Chatroom?

I haven't been in the TW Chatroom, but I've tried to participate in a couple of others (once in a movie trivia cr, the other in a SQL programing cr) and the combination of my lousy typing skills and poor eyesight left me way behind the chat as everything scrolled off the screen before I could compose a reply. (A short post like this typically takes me 15 minutes to post.)

Thought maybe a speech to text would be a solution.

Best,
    Melody

• 157 posts
    December 2, 2009 11:14 PM GMT
    Hi Melody

Do you have experience using speech to text software for other things? I ask because the one I had experience with was difficult to become comfortable with - learning how to speak in a precise manner so it would recognize the words - and it to learn my words. It would use the word it thought I wanted instead of the one I said, so I spent a lot of time editing.

I'd suppose the new programs would have to be better and the computers can process the language faster too.

Do you have a source where you can try the software if you haven't already?

I don't chat much - but based on what I've seen of your posts the chat rooms are missing-out on your insight.

Hugs Jeri
    • 1017 posts
    December 2, 2009 11:27 PM GMT
    Hi Jeri,

My experience with speech to text software is about the same as yours. I tried it years ago at a booth at a computer expo at Moscone Center in San Francisco (about a block and a half from where I was tech support at my corporation at the time) and my reactions were pretty much the same. I've heard, though I have no personal experience since then, that the software is much better these days.

I have no idea if S2T would even work in a chatroom setting, which is why I asked....

Thanks much for the "insight" comment.

Best,
    Melody