TW made me (sort of) famous...

• 1017 posts
    December 5, 2009 11:02 PM GMT
    Hi Girls,

Bored with nothing to do, I Googled my name to see if there were any other Melody Anders out there (and maybe a bit of personal vanity).
    To my suprise, the 5th link was:

The TW Community - TrannyForums
    Melody Anders, 5, 0/40, Sun, Oct 4th 2009, Mon, Oct 5th 2009. By: Melody Anders. *, Blindfolded, Photo on Forum messages ...
    gendersociety.com/perl/community/cforums.cgi?forumid... - Cached - Similar

How cool!

Best,
    Melody

ps, I'm not that kinky, the "Blindfolded" referred to the post type graphic in the post that followed mine...
    • 2127 posts
    December 6, 2009 11:27 AM GMT
    Hi Melody, these are public forums so it's no surprise that Uncle Google has been to visit.

However, Google and other search engines cannot see our Full Members Forums so anything you post in those is safe from the prying eyes of the outside world. The same goes for our Full Member's picture galleries.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 530 posts
    December 6, 2009 1:11 PM GMT
    Katie, you make Uncle Google sound like a dirty old man!

Ok, I have to agree he does seem to get into almost everything nowadays. (No girls, that does not include your unmentionables).

A lot of people, (including me), have been surprised to find out how much information there is on the net about themselves. Not just from your own name, but many of the user-names you have entered here and there whilst browsing will turn something up as well.
    I have namesakes all over the place, from TW and social networking, information sites where I have registered, you name it and somewhere you will appear!
    (Check out your local council list, if you are registered to vote. Name and address, who else lives there...)

Katie is right though, only your presence is available, no personal details can be obtained legitimately on any genuine sites.

Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid !!!!!!!!!!
    • 2127 posts
    December 6, 2009 9:53 PM GMT
    Actually, if you stick to the "Full Member's only" parts of Trannyweb, even your presence will not be detected.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 530 posts
    December 6, 2009 10:34 PM GMT
    It was a generalisation, not TW specific, and intended to remind everyone that so much of the internet is open to scrutiny.

Sorry if it appeared to suggest that anything on TW could be seen by everyone regardless.

I personally take it that someone somewhere can read everything I write online, whether that is actually true or not. And I don't even regard my own PC as sacrosanct, though I do doubt anyone would bother with checking out an individual.

Bring on the white coats - I am wearing my mesh helmet and the room is lined... LOL
    • 1017 posts
    December 6, 2009 11:05 PM GMT
    Hi Katie,

I completely understand your wanting to reassure TW members that Full Member posts are not public.

On the other hand, I was delighted to find that I was the result of a Google search. When I moved to the San Francisco Bay area from Southern California for my job, I lost track of most of my friends in those pre-Internet days. Hopefully, some of them will be able to find me here at TW!

Best,
    Melody
    • 1017 posts
    December 6, 2009 11:31 PM GMT
    Hi Sue,

I totally agree with the caution you are advocating.

Back in the 1970s, one of my jobs was as a Skip Tracer (finding folks who had skipped bail and hadn't showed up in court.) Looking at what I've said in my 130+ posts at TW (and what I've revealed in my profile), I'd be pretty much able to find about anything about me, including my drab identity, without much trouble. And this was in the pre-Internet days.

I think you need to strike a balance between being yourself and protecting yourself from the "haters", some of which I'm sure look at TW and other TG sites as a source of targets...

Best,
    Melody