Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » TTN - GLBT GENOCIDE POISED IN UGANDA

TTN - GLBT GENOCIDE POISED IN UGANDA

Tags : None
  • If you liked President for Life Idi Amin, you will just LOVE this new story which deserves more than the transitory life of a TRANNYWEB TG NEWS feed story.

http://www.dallasvoice.co[...]193.php

Later today, I plan to write my Congressman and Senators to encourage them to force the President to cut off all aide and trade to the Ugandan government and to tell our UN ambassador to initiate a world censure and similar injunction against Uganda if this upcoming law is enforced. Failing this, I support the strongest international, military intervention against the government of Uganda.

NEVER AGAIN! We cannot sit by like we did again in Cambodia while Pol Pot killed millions.

"Current law in Uganda makes homosexuality a crime punishable by life in prison." They should stay so lucky. The Anti-Homosexuality Act of 2009 goes a step further:

"All HIV-positive gay men are condemned to death." It gets worse.

"Gay men who have been accused as 'repeat offenders' are punished by death. Anyone who knows a gay man but fails to report him to the government can be imprisoned for three years. The same penalty is indicated for people knowing transgendered people, lesbians or bisexuals and not informing the government."

"...the same folks pushing the Anti-Homosexuality Law also are members of the team organizing the Ugandan National Prayer Breakfast. That group gets money and guidance from powerful fundamentalists in the U.S."

If you had any doubt before about what the Religious Right wants for you.....

Can you say "Holocaust"?
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      December 6, 2009 3:43 PM GMT
  • Hi Wendy,

This is very sad and shocking news. Uganda has long been held up as the shining example of an African nation successfully dealing with the HIV-AIDS pandemic. To find that American Right Wing (religious) fanatics are undermining these efforts is terrible for Ugandans and very frightening for we TGs in the USA.

Holocaust, indeed.

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      December 6, 2009 9:16 PM GMT
  • I know Uganda suffers with AIDS epidemic but this is not the way to defeat it. Moreover, this bill targets the GBLT communities not AIDS. In Africa AIDS is also much more prevalent in heterosexual contacts than is the norm for industrialized nations.

I found the comments section even more worrisome than the article.

Scary for sure.

Jeri
    Jeri Elaine “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” - Irina Dunn, 1970 Indecision is the key to flexibility. - unknown
      December 6, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
  • The comments do suggest that this is only a bill, and has some way to go before it could become law. It also suggests that the bill would not be passed as it stands.

It does reek of using the law to eliminate minorities, and we all know where that ended up last time.

Either way, it should be strongly opposed.

However, direct action would be out of order at this time. We would not appreciate another stepping in to oppose some of the more outrageous bills that have been proposed in our own countries. Fortunately, common sense has generally prevailed, and it hasn't happened. There are some on the tables now in both Europe and the USA that really should not have even been read, let alone written, but so far the majority have not seen fit to allow them to progress until they are reasonable.

Only if this bill were to become law should sanctions be introduced, and these have effectively overcome a number of 'unfair' situations where a country wishes to remain on the international stage.

The comments then seem to degenerate into a heated argument that strays from the initial discussion point. As such, though worrying in themselves, they are not really linked to the bill itself but to the other issue concerning the whole of Africa, especially AIDS and it's continued spread throughout the continent.

We should keep an eye on the bill's progress and make sure it is not buried in other legislation to get it through. I do not think that this is likely. Though a leader might get to the top by nefarious means, no country can be run totally by complete idiots, and I don't think this bill will get very far.
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      December 6, 2009 10:57 PM GMT
  • After reading and rereading and rereading this "Viewpoint" of Hardy Haberman, I've decided it is typical activist rant. I thought one of the comments following the story summed it up well.
    TheRazor
    Dec 04, 2009 at 10:48
    The sad thing about this topic is that genocide of LGBTs has been going on in Iran, Iraq and other Muslim dominated countries, yet not a word from the LGBT media. But when the evangelicals make such noise the LGBT community starts to take notice. Selective politicization of murder appears evident and is unacceptable. It is not just Uganda.

And reading Melody's response is very fitting to that same quote. I was going to respond here earlier and bring up where are all the complaints about Iran and other Muslim nations that do the same thing, so I was happy to see my viewpoint is shared by others.

I consider myself conservative, and I attend church. Does that make me an American Right Wing (religious) fanatic? I don't think so. And the thing is in this story you have all these generalizations making it sound like this is a done deal when it is just one bill of many that will have to work it's way through the process. Then you have the activist writer screaming fire in the theater not because of a fire, but because he is worried there may be a fire.

Just my take on it.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 7, 2009 1:20 AM GMT
  • Hi Marsha,

I don't think all Conservative Religious folks are the same as the totally amoral Right Wing religious nuts that advocate the death penalty for we TGs, gays and those suffering from HIV-AIDS.

I think you found out in your own life how bigoted your old church was toward was to you and who you are. If you think that rejection is as far as some of these religious bigots will go, you are (amazingly) short sighted.

I find the Extreme Right Wing, including the 'Religious Right', to completely disregard everything Jesus Christ taught: religious, political, economic and moral.

I live my life trying to be tolerant to everyone (admittedly not always succeeding, I'm only a human).

Ex-Vice President Dick Chaney and Carl Rove used to brag about a "Permanent Republican Majority" running the United States forever. If you think you would be tolerated in that society, I'd stay far away from trees and ropes...

Best
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      December 7, 2009 2:16 AM GMT
  • Hi Marsha,

As to Muslim intolerance, which I didn't address in my reply to you, I condemn all intolerance and violence, no matter who is doing it be they Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Daoist, Wicken, Animist, etc al.
    My reply to Wendy's post was based on her link and her comments.

Best,
    Melody
      December 7, 2009 3:02 AM GMT
  • Melody, you are absolutely right I found out how bigoted my old church was to me, however you left out that because of that I have found that there are churches out there that do accept us. I have also because of my business talked to hundreds of people of all ages and religions, and have found although there is little understanding by most about us, there is enormous tolerance for those of us GLBT that don't shove it down everyone else's throat. So to rant how the republicans do this and that is total BS if you think for a moment that the democrats don't do the same thing. By the way, the gated community I work in is predominately republican, as much as 90%, and I have lost only a handful of customers due to my transition. So I really doubt I would have to worry about trees and ropes. If you fear that, then stay in the closet. And as my therapist puts it, we live in the buckle of the bible belt. The extreme right wing are exactly that, extreme, and the far left has its share of nut cases as well.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      December 7, 2009 3:49 AM GMT
  • Hi Marsha,

I'm very glad that your new church is so welcoming to you. They are obviously not the ones I worry about.

The article in Wendy's link mentioned a group called "The Family" that were connected to the Bush Administration's "Faith Based" office. I've been hearing about some of their activities both in places like Uganda as well here in the USA. They really were/are Right Wing (religious) nuts and they are virtually all Republicans. Their agenda is to put into law all of the most extreme positions of the Religious Right, and believe me they have no tolerance for TGs. If they were just some fundamentalists working themselves up in a storefront church it would be no big deal, but they were in the White House and supported by Chaney and Rove.

Just for the record, I am very, very skeptical of conspiracy theories, UFOs, and other silliness. But as Wendy's post showed, these guys are a real danger.

No, I don't think all Republicans would agree with them. And yes, I agree the Democrats have much to answer for. They were the party of racism until the Republicans moved into the South.

Best,
    Melody

ps, My closet(s) are very nice - lot's of pretty things...
      December 7, 2009 1:44 PM GMT
  • A brief update.
    Seems like due to pressure from outside the country that the bill is being amended. Exactly how far is yet to be seen, but it is a move in the right direction.

Pink News
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      December 10, 2009 6:10 PM GMT
  • Hi Sue,

Thanks for the update. It does follow along the lines of your prior post to this thread's prediction.

It will be interesting to see how the bill ends up if/when it is passed. Even if the death penalty is eliminated, the prison terms for AIDs victims, gays, TGs and those who don't report them is still pretty scary.

Best,
    Melody
      December 10, 2009 6:40 PM GMT
  • Today's TRANNYWEB TRANSGENDER NEWS feed has an article on Uganda that explains a bit about the culture there and makes the possibility of these proposed laws a bit more understandable in the context of the Ugandan society.

http://www.nytimes.com/20[...]b+News)
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      January 5, 2010 5:27 PM GMT