Discrimination

• July 2, 2004 11:06 AM BST
    Hi Cerys, Maria

Funny Girls does not discriminate against t-girls. They are in fact very welcome there, but just like the rest of the audience they have to wear what the management/owners feel is the appropriate clothing bearing in mind that most of the clientel are hetero holidaymakers.

There is a time and a place for everything. Would you expect a naturist to be allowed into (for example) a cinema in the nude?

Karen
    • 1198 posts
    July 1, 2004 3:22 PM BST
    Hi all i was in yahoo and i came across this article. It goes to show there is still alot of discrimination even for the GAY community love JJ xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thursday July 1, 11:42 AM

Gay snub lands hotelier in hot water
    By Astrid Zweynert

LONDON (Reuters) - Guest-house owner Tom Forrest in the wild Scottish highlands was adamant when two London homosexuals wanted to book a room with a double bed -- not in my house you don't.

They could have twin beds, but not a double. "We will not condone your sexual perversion," he told them in an e-mail.

The case has become a cause celebre, highlighting the limits of public acceptance of homosexuality and prompting demands from gay lobbyists for a change in the law.

Forrest, owner of the Cromasaig guest house in Kinlochewe, some 50 miles west of Inverness, was not answering the phone on Thursday but has pledged not to back down.

"We do not have a problem with your personal sexual deviation, that is up to you," he said to the two men in the e-mail. "You are welcome to our twin room if you wish, but we will not condone your perversion.

"I just do not approve of unnatural acts being performed in my home."

Gay rights organisation Stonewall said the law should be brought in line with other anti-discrimination legislation.

"It would be illegal to refuse someone a room on the grounds of race, gender or disability," a spokesman said.

"We will be seeking a change in the law because unfortunately it is not illegal to discriminate against lesbians and gays in the provision of goods and services."

Forrest's stern attitude has made headlines in Britain, where the government has unveiled a civil partnership bill that gives legal recognition to same-sex partnerships.

The Scottish tourist board, VisitScotland, said it had asked Forrest to change his mind, but that he had refused. The board has now removed his three-star guest house from its Web site list of recommended accommodation.

"We have decided that we cannot continue to promote or advertise Mr Forrest's business because we cannot condone the offensive way this guest was treated," a spokesman said.

"We would like to make it clear that his views are not shared by a majority of Scottish people."

Thousands of gays and lesbians are expected to march through central London on Saturday in Europe's largest gay pride festival

• July 1, 2004 9:51 PM BST
    The fact of the matter is that they were not refused a room as it says quite clearly in the article.

also "rights" work both ways. Why should the hotelier not have the right to dislike homosexuality and indeed not allow it on his premises? "Rights" does not mean the rule of the minority.

It is nothing to do with ignorance at all, it is the right of an individual to decide what should or should not be allowed on his own premises.

Karen
    • 1198 posts
    July 1, 2004 10:01 PM BST
    Hi karen
    I agree that this person has the right to say what goes and what doesn't on his premises, but it has been passed in parliment that Homosexuals have equal rights too.
    Are you saying one rule for straight couples and another for gay couples? Basically the political correctness allows such people like this person, to be taken to court for discrimination. It is the same in the US in certain states no blacks allowed, if this was allowed to continue the minority ethnic and gender communitys would be persecuted. love JJ xx
  • July 1, 2004 10:06 PM BST
    Besides the above, even if the hotelier should have the right to refuse a room on grounds of potential homosexual activity, if the quotes are anything to go by, he was very derogatory in the way he said no.
    • 61 posts
    July 2, 2004 7:43 AM BST
    Yes it's very weird but the owner may be a Presbyterian Basil Fawlty. I assume guest houses are covered by the same laws as hotels though I'm not sure what they are but surely hotels cannot refuse a room of your choice if one is available? Am I right in thinking that a publican can still rule who he serves and who he doesn't?

Here in Australia, Tasmania has only very, very recently (within the last 5 years) repealed its Anti Gay laws. It has now gone full circle to install the most liberal laws anywhere and it now promotes itself as a gay friendly destination. However I suspect they may still have an archaic law that forbids cross dressing in public places after dark but that may be gone too.

Fiona

• 1198 posts
    July 2, 2004 9:01 AM BST
    Fiona
    I read an article about crossdressing after dark, i can't remember where i saw it but it is still law in some county's in Britain. I will try and find the article and post it if you are intrested? love JJ xx
  • July 2, 2004 9:14 AM BST
    I think we had a law that forbid being in public in disguise. That could be used against crossdressers, but not against those being full time. Because they wore just their normal everyday cloths.
    Anyway...this law is now past.

Laura
    • 430 posts
    July 2, 2004 9:45 AM BST
    Hi girls,

I think the scotiish guy has the right to be like this if he so chooses. After all it is his place. I think the scottish tourist board did the right thing by removing him from there site. So all in all everthing worked out.

If this guy wasn't trying to make a point by saying to these guys that he doesn't like gays he would still be endorsed by the tourist board. What I would have done if I was him, I would have just said sorry we don't have one avalible but we do have a twin.

So for being a dick and making a point which is now illegal he loses and those guys get what they wanted anyway. For being so dumb he deserves what he got!
  • July 2, 2004 10:40 AM BST
    Hi Julie,

I'm afraid it's a matter of "equal rights" not being quite that. As far as I am aware it is in fact still an impossibility for gays to legally marry a person of the same gender/sex in this country. And anyway I think you will find that a hotelier has the right to decide what rooms are available to whom, and could refuse a double room to an unmarried hetero couple. This being the case, the gays were getting equal treatment.

One has to draw the line somewhere (not always easy) or paedophiles could also be seen as being discriminated against. And it's no good saying that's a different case because it's illegal, so was homosexuality until the 60s.

This is not the same thing as racial discrimination, we are talking about something that many people in what is after all a Christian country, regard as a moral issue.

Karen
    • 1198 posts
    July 2, 2004 1:03 PM BST
    T-girl dancers on stage performing for the hetro clientel, T-girls not allowed in the audience dressed because it might offened. So if the hetro masses don't like seeing T-girls in the audience, they can go else where. Because lets face it, i would say 75% if not more hetro sexual men and women are curious to what a t-girl looks like.
    More like a freak show for the small minded idiots to have a piss take at, along with the admirer's that go. Love JJ xx
  • July 2, 2004 8:28 PM BST
    Burlesque shows and clubs are not gay venues. That is a myth. They are and always have been aimed at hetero audiences. The performers are on the whole drag artists, not t-girls.

Karen
    • 1198 posts
    July 2, 2004 9:50 PM BST
    Hi karen
    Yeah i know on the whole that drag queen's are not t-girl's as my cousin is a drag artist, oh and he is gay. But it just strikes me as funny that t-girls are not allowed to go and watch a drag artist show dressed.
    Alot of t-girls go and watch a show in brighton called "the bangkok lady boy's" once a year when they perform there, the T-girls are welcomed there dressed with no worry's what so ever. Seem's like the north and south divide is stronger than ever. love jj xx
  • July 3, 2004 12:42 AM BST
    Oh yes Julie, I agree with you, it's a funny old world. Going to the other extreme you've got The Rocky Horror Show where it's taken for granted that most of the audience will be cross-dressed Such is life.

Karen, xxx
    • 2068 posts
    July 1, 2004 3:42 PM BST
    hi jules, i heard about this yesterday hun.It seems that,even in the 21st century that there still so many ignorant people in this world,this forrest bloke being one of them.lol maria xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • July 2, 2004 10:26 AM BST
    Here's a bizarre exmaple of discrimination; In Blackpool (UK seaside resort) there's a showbar called "Funny Girls" where they do some of the best Burlesque shows in the country. Obviously all the dancers are T-girls and people come from far and wide to see the show. So, imagine my surprise when I discover their door policy is not to allow TV/TG girls in the audience. Apparently their usual clientelle is too homophobic to accept girls like us as punters but it's OK for them to be ogled at on stage!! Work that one out.
    • 2068 posts
    July 2, 2004 10:48 AM BST
    that's rather hypcritical of them to allow T-girl dancers on stage,but not allow them in the audience.It just seems to me like blatant discrimination.After all, our money's as good as anyone else's, isn't it?...lol maria xxxxx
    • 2068 posts
    July 2, 2004 10:48 AM BST
    that's rather hypcritical of them to allow T-girl dancers on stage,but not allow them in the audience.It just seems to me like blatant discrimination.After all, our money's as good as anyone else's, isn't it?...lol maria xxxxx
  • July 2, 2004 11:22 AM BST
    We must be reading from different sources Karen. I hope yours is right. My info came from a Blackpool based support group warning me not to go there but if you've had first hand experience and it's not the case then I'm certainly glad to hear it. I know Funny Girls has got very popular with the Stag Night scene recently so maybe the door policy works on a night by night basis depending on who's in. That would certainly be more positive.
    • 2573 posts
    July 2, 2004 12:17 PM BST
    Perhaps if we were to show up at Funny Girls en mass, en femme, with large scarlet T's on our dresses they would let us in...