Employment policy

• 2017 posts
    April 15, 2010 3:38 PM BST
    I thought it would be quite nice to share my employer's policy on discrimination. We hear so much about transsexual people being discriminated against in the workplace and indeed, it can be very challenging to come out to your employer, so this example shows how things are improving. In the UK/Europe at least.

"The Association aims to ensure that no employee or job applicant is discriminated against, either directly or indirectly, on the grounds of sex, race, colour, nationality, ethic or racial origin, married status, religion or belief, disability, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or age. This applies to recruitment, training, promotion or to any other aspect of employment."

That's how it should be, and no, I haven't experienced any difficulties, quite the opposite actually so they do practise what they preach.

Nikki
  • April 15, 2010 4:08 PM BST
    I also have had no problems,I have been working full time as a care assistant for the past year.I am totally accepted as female.When I had to fill out my CRB check before I started the job,I filled the gender section in as male because I thought I had to because I am pre-op.But a lovely young girl rang me from the CRB and told me that because I am living full time as female then I could put female on my CRB form.Also I did not have to give them my old name as it was now totally private and confidential.Also I have changed my tax code, national insurance and driving details to my female title and name.All my credit and bank cards have also been changed.I have no papers or documents in my old male name apart from my birth and marriage certificate........YIPPPEEEEE!!!!
    • 530 posts
    April 15, 2010 4:30 PM BST
    Me too also.
    Both my current and two previous employers (that covers over nine years of virtually continuous employment) operated a similar policy, and like Nikki I have had no problems.
    • 2017 posts
    April 15, 2010 6:03 PM BST
    Isn't it nice to know that we are winning the war!

Nikki
    • 40 posts
    April 16, 2010 10:58 PM BST
    But in the US it's a different story. I've had problems at every job that I've been at and even been harrased. It does no
    good to talk to the head of the company because some of them have it in for the person. I've been told that I'm
    " unsuitable for the job" before I got fired for being who I am. That's from the years 1992 to 2008 for me.
    It's not easy getting a job or keeping one if your transsexual here in the US.

Randi Pearson
    Crestwood,MO
    • 1980 posts
    April 17, 2010 3:25 AM BST
    Well, fwiw, I worked for T-Mobile for a bit over three years before I quit and moved to Seattle for personal reasons. They have an absolute non-discrimination policy about orientation and gender expression. For the last few months I worked there I went to work either as my male self or my female self. Yes, I know there are those who say that once you come out you should always express your female side otherwise you're not taken seriously. Whatever.

All I want to say is that I was completely supported by management and by my team members while in the workplace. Of course, I have no idea what their own personal feelings about it may have been, however, no one was ever rude or inconsiderate in any way. If the nearest call center wasn't so far away I would go back to work there in a heartbeat.

Hugs...Joni Mar